Dr. Richard Secco
Ph.D. Western University, 1988
Office: BGS 0178
Labs: BGS 0127, 0132
Phone: 519-661-2111 x.84079
My research interest lie in Mineral Physics and Materials Science. Each study in these two disciplines finds application to specific and different physico-chemical problems/investigations. The unifying theme that binds them is my primary goal of understanding the effects of high pressures and temperatures on solids and liquids, particularly as these parameters perturb and present the promise of control of physical properties. Knowledge of physical property behavior is pivotal for understanding many Earth processes as well as for tailoring specific responses in materials for applications. Many of these studies utilize equipment in the UWO Experimental High Pressure / Temperature Mineral Physics / Materials Science Laboratory.
- Balog, P.S., Secco, R.A., D.C. Rubie, D.C. and Frost, D.J., Equation of State of Liquid Fe-10wt%S: Implications for the Metallic Cores of Planetary Bodies, submitted to Journal of Geophysical Research, accepted June 21, 2002, in press.
- Liu, H., Secco, R.A., Imanaka, N., Rutter, M.D., Adachi, G., Uchida, T., Ionic to Electronic Dominant Conductivity in Al2(WO4)3 at High Pressure and High Temperature, Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, accepted May 28, 2002, in press.
- Secco, R.A., Liu, H., Imanaka, N., Adachi, G., Anomalous Ionic Conductivity of Sc2(WO4)3 Mediated by Structural Changes at High Pressures and Temperatures Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, in press, 2002.
- Secco, R.A., Rutter, M.D., Balog, S.P., Liu, H., Rubie, D.C., Uchida, T., Frost, D., Wang, Y., Rivers, M., Sutton, S., Viscosity and Density of Fe-S Liquids at High Pressures, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, in press, 2002.
- Uchida, T., Wang, Y., Rivers, M.L., Sutton, S.R., Weidner, D.J., Vaughan, M.T., Chen, J., Li, B., Secco, R.A., Rutter, M.D., Liu, H., A large Volume Press Facility at the APS: Diffraction and Imaging Studies on Materials Relevant to the Cores of Planetary Bodies, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, in press, 2002.
- Earth Sciences 1023/2123: Planet Earth: Shaken & Stirred / Dynamic Earth
- Earth Sciences 3321: Physics of the Earth I
- Ryan Sawyer, PhD Geophysics and Planetary Science Candidate (Co-Supervisor)
- Meryem Sawyer, MSc Geophysics Candidate
- Joshua Littleton, PhD Geophysics Candidate
- Reynold Silber, PhD Geophysics Candidate