Dr. Sheri Molnar
Ph.D. University of Victoria, 2011
Office: BGS 1040
Lab: BGS 0155
Phone: 519-661-2111 x87031
Seismic hazards, with a focus on earthquake path and site effects; Surface seismic field techniques for shallow crustal velocity structure; Numerical (parallel computing) wave propagation simulation of scenario earthquakes; Seismic risk and loss estimation; Seismic hazards due to induced seismicity
- S. Molnar, C. E. Ventura, R. Boroschek, and M. Archila. Site characterization at Chilean strong-motion stations: Comparison of downhole and microtremor shear-wave velocity methods, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, revision in review.
- S. Molnar, C. E. Ventura, W. D. L. Finn, H. Crow, T. Stokes, P. Lapcevic, D. Paradis, 2014. Regional seismic hazard assessment for small urban centers in western Canada, Proceedings 10th NCEE, Anchorage, Alaska, July 21-25, 2014, Paper 1689.
- S. Molnar, J. F. Cassidy, K. B. Olsen, S. E. Dosso, and J. He, 2014. Earthquake ground motion and 3D Georgia basin amplification in SW British Columbia: Deep Juan de Fuca plate scenario earthquakes, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 104, 301-320, doi: 10.1785/0120110277.
- S. Molnar, J. F. Cassidy, K. B. Olsen, S. E. Dosso, and J. He, 2014. Earthquake ground motion and 3D Georgia basin amplification in SW British Columbia: Shallow blind-thrust scenario earthquakes, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 104, 321-335, doi: 10.1785/0120130116.
- S. Molnar, J. F. Cassidy, and S. E. Dosso, 2013. Uncertainty of linear earthquake site amplification via Bayesian inversion of surface seismic data, Geophysics, 78(3), WB37-WB48, doi: 10.1190/geo2012-0345.1.
- J. Dettmer, S. Molnar, G. Steininger, S. E. Dosso, and J. F. Cassidy, 2012. Trans-dimensional inversion of microtremor array dispersion data with hierarchical autoregressive error models, Geophysical Journal International, 188, 719-734, doi: 10.1111/j.1365-246X.2011.05302.x.
- S. Molnar, 2012. Frequency-wavenumber (f-k) ambient noise array method, in Shear wave velocity measurement guidelines for Canadian seismic site characterization in soil and rock, J. Hunter and H. Crow (eds.), GSC Open File 7078, 101-108.
- S. Molnar, S. E. Dosso, and J. F. Cassidy, 2010. Bayesian inversion of microtremor array dispersion data in southwestern British Columbia, Geophysical Journal International, 183, 2, November, 923-940, doi: 10.1111/j.1365-246X.2010.04761.x.
- J. F. Cassidy and S. Molnar, 2009. Earthquake site response studies in Canada: Recent advances and applications, in Increasing Seismic Safety by Combining Engineering Technologies and Seismological Data, M. Mucciarelli, M. Herak, and J. F. Cassidy (Eds.), Springer, 2009, 257-279.
- S. Molnar, and J. F. Cassidy, 2006. A comparison of site response techniques using weak-motion earthquakes and microtremors, Earthquake Spectra, 22, 169-188.
- S. Molnar, J. F. Cassidy, and S. E. Dosso, 2004. Site response in Victoria, British Columbia, from spectral ratios and 1D modeling, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 94, 1109-1124.
- S. Molnar, J. F. Cassidy, and S. E. Dosso, 2004. Comparing intensity variation of the 2001 Nisqually earthquake to geology in Victoria, British Columbia, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 94, 2229-2238.
Earth Sciences 2222A/B: Data Analysis & Signal Processing
Earth Sciences 4451Z: Geophysics Field Techniques
Dr. Molnar currently has openings for M.Sc. and Ph.D. students interested in seismic hazard analysis in Canada, Chile, and/or Nepal, as well as improvement of multi-hazard (earthquake, wind, and flood) risk and loss analyses. Contact Dr. Molnar for more information.