Dr. Phil McCausland
Meteoritics, Tectonics, Paleomagnetism
Director, Western Paleomagnetic and Petrophysical Laboratory
Ph.D. Western University, 2002
Office: BGS 0187
Labs: BGS 0148A, WSC 34, 36
Phone: 519-661-2111 x.88008
- Physical properties, paleomagnetism and mineralogy of planetary materials as it relates to the geological evolution of the Earth, terrestrial planets and small bodies of the Solar System.
- Physical properties and mineralogy of meteorites: mainly non-destructive investigation of meteorite density, porosity, magnetic properties, mineralogy and shock effects by various techniques including micro-XRD, laser imaging and X-Ray Micro CT imaging.
- Paleogeography of the Precambrian Earth: determining the Earth’s Precambrian-Paleozoic paleogeography via paleomagnetic and other techniques, as a context for understanding extreme climates, burgeoning life, and as a tracer of global geodynamics.
- Tectonics of accretionary orogens and mountain belts: paleomagnetic tracking of the collision, obduction and lateral motion of crustal fragments, to investigate the mechanisms of their assembly into mountain belts (Canadian Cordillera, Central Asia, Appalachians).
- Bramble, M.S., Flemming, R.L., and McCausland, P.J.A. 2015. Grain size measurement from two-dimensional micro-X-ray diffraction: Laboratory application of a radial integration technique. American Mineralogist, v. 100, p. 1899-1911, doi:10.2138/am-2015-5181
- Symons, D.T.A., McCausland, P.J.A.. Kawasaki, K. and Hart, C.R. 2015. Post-Triassic para-autochthoneity of the Yukon-Tanana Terrane: Paleomagnetism of the Early Cretaceous Quiet Lake Batholith. Geophysical Journal International, v 203, pp 312–326, doi: 10.1093/gji/ggv296
- Samson, C., Butler, S., Fry, C., McCausland, P.J.A., Herd, R.K., Sharomi, O., Spiteri, R.J. and Ralchenko, M. 2014. 3-D Laser images of splash-form tektites and their use in aerodynamic numerical simulations of tektite formation. Meteoritics and Planetary Science v 49, pp 740-749, doi: 10.1111/maps.12287
- McCausland, P.J.A. 2015. Fireballs. Observers Handbook 2015, The Royal Astronomical Society of Canda, Ed. D.M.F. Chapman, pp 255-256.
- Jin, J., Harper, D.A.T., Cocks, L.R.M., McCausland, P.J.A., Rasmussen, C.M.Ø. and Sheehan, P.M. 2013. Locating the Late Ordovician equator in Laurentia using palaeobiological and palaeomagnetic data. Geology v 41, pp 107-110; doi:10.1130/G33688.1 [highlighted in: Editor’s Choice, Science Dec 14, 2012]
- Fry, C., Melanson, D., Samson, C., McCausland, P.J.A., Herd, R.K., Ernst, R.E., Umoh, J. and Holdsworth, D.W. 2013. Physical characterization of a suite of Buzzard Coulee H4 chondrite fragments. Meteoritics and Planetary Science v. 48, pp 1-13, doi: 10.1111/maps.12130
- McCausland P.J.A., Flemming, R.L., Wilson, G.C., Renaud, J., Dillon, D. and Holdsworth, D.W. 2013. The Wood Lake, Ontario H4 ordinary chondrite, a new Canadian meteorite. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences v 50, pp 32-43.
- Wilson. G.C. and McCausland, P.J.A. 2013. Canadian meteorites: a brief review. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences v 50, pp 4-13.
- Torsvik, T.H., Van der Voo, R., Preeden, U. and ten others. 2012. Phanerozoic Polar Wander, Paleogeography and Dynamics. Earth Science Reviews v. 114, pp 325-368.
- Pisarevsky, S.A., McCausland, P.J.A., Hodych, J.P., O’Brien, S., Tait, J.A. and Murphy, J.B. 2012. Paleomagnetic study of the Late Neoproterozoic Bull Arm and Crown Hill Formations (Musgravetown Group) of eastern Newfoundland: implications for Avalonia and West Gondwana paleogeography. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences v. 49, 308-327.
- Plint, A.G., Tyagi, A., McCausland, P.J.A., Krawetz, J.R., Zhang, H., Roca, X., Hu, G., Varban, B., Kreitner, M.A. and Hay, M.J. 2011. Dynamic relationship between subsidence, sedimentation, and unconformities in middle Cretaceous, shallow-marine strata of the Western Canada Foreland Basin and their possible tectonic causes, in: Recent Advances in Tectonics of Sedimentary Basins, C. Buxby and A. Azor, Eds. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford.
- Singleton, A.C., Osinski, G.R., McCausland, P.J.A., Moser, D. 2011. Shock induced changes in density and porosity in shock metamorphosed crystalline rocks, Haughton impact structure, Meteoritics and Planetary Science v. 46, pp 1774-1786, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2011.01290.x
- McCausland, P.J.A., Samson, C. and McLeod, T. 2011. Meteorite Small Fragment Bulk Density via Visible Light 3D Laser Imaging, Meteoritics and Planetary Science v. 46, pp 1097-1109, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2011.01217.x
- Izawa, M.R.M., Flemming, R.L., Banerjee, N.R. McCausland, P.J.A. 2011. Micro X-ray diffraction (μXRD) assessment of shock stage in enstatite chondrites, Meteoritics and Planetary Science, v. 46, pp 638-651, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2011.01180.x
- McCausland, P.J.A., Hankard, F., Van der Voo, R. and Hall, C.M. 2011. Ediacaran paleogeography of Laurentia: Paleomagnetism and 40Ar-39Ar geochronology of the 583 Ma Baie des Moutons syenite, Quebec. Precambrian Research, v. 187, pp 58-78, doi: 10.1016/j.precamres. 2011.02.004.
- Brown, P.G., McCausland, P.J.A., Fries, M., Silber, E., Edwards, W.N., Wong, D.K., Wiegert, P., Weryk, R.J., Fries, J. and Krzeminski, Z. 2011. The Fall of the Grimsby Meteorite - I: Fireball dynamics and orbit from radar, video and infrasound records. Meteoritics and Planetary Science v. 46, pp 339-363, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2010.01167.
- Izawa, M.R.M., Flemming, R.L., McCausland, P.J.A., Southam, G., Moser, D.E. and Barker, I.R. 2010. Multi-technique investigation reveals new mineral, chemical and textural heterogeneity in the Tagish Lake C2 chondrite. Planetary and Space Science, v. 58, pp 1347-1364.
- McCausland, P.J.A. and Plotkin, H. 2009. The 1904 Shelburne (Ontario) L5 chondrite fall, revisited. Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, v. 103, pp 181-188.
- Beech, M., Coulson, I.M., Nie, W. and McCausland, P.J.A. 2009 The thermal and physical characteristics of the Gao Guenie (H5) Meteorite, Planetary & Space Science v. 57, pp 764-770.
- McCausland, P.J.A., Van der Voo, R., and Hall, C.M. 2007. Circum-Iapetus paleogeography of the Precambrian-Cambrian transition with a new paleomagnetic constraint from Laurentia. Precambrian Research, v. 156, pp 125-152.
- Hildebrand, A.R., McCausland, P.J.A., Brown, P.A., Longstaffe, F.J., Russell, S.D.J., Tagliaferri, E., Wacker, J.F., and Mazur, M.J. 2006. The fall and recovery of the Tagish Lake meteorite. Meteoritics and Planetary Science, v. 41, pp 407-431.
- McCausland, P.J.A., Symons, D.T.A., Hart, C.J.R., and Blackburn, W.H. 2006. Assembly of the northern Cordillera: New paleomagnetic evidence for coherent, moderate Jurassic to Eocene motion of the Intermontane Belt and Yukon-Tanana terranes. In Geological Association of Canada Special Paper 46: Paleogeography of the North American Cordillera: Evidence For and Against Large-Scale Displacements, pp 145-168.
- McCausland, P.J.A., Symons, D.T.A., and Hart, C.J.R. 2005. Rethinking “Yellowstone in Yukon” and Baja British Columbia: Paleomagnetism of the Late Cretaceous Swede Dome stock, northern Canadian Cordillera. Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 110, B12107, doi:10.1029/2005JB003742.
- Cawood, P.A., McCausland, P.J.A., and Dunning, G.R. 2001. Opening Iapetus: Constraints from the Laurentian margin in Newfoundland. Geological Soc. America Bulletin, v. 113 , pp 443-453.
- McCausland, P.J.A., and Hodych, J.P. 1998. Paleomagnetism of the 550 Ma Skinner Cove volcanics of western Newfoundland and the opening of the Iapetus Ocean. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 163, pp 15-29.
- Uribe, Diego (September 2014 – present; co-supervised with M. Izawa) M.Sc. Planetary Science, University of Western Ontario: “Primitive enstatite achondrites as indicators of environments and processes during early planetary differentiation”
- Grouchy, Andrew (September 2014 – present; co-supervised with C. Tsujita) M.Sc. Geology, University of Western Ontario: “Quantitative analysis of Middle Devonian coral growth ridges for paleoenvironmental and geodynamic purposes”
- MacRae, Michelle (September 2015 – present; co-supervised with J. Jin) M.Sc. Geology, University of Western Ontario: “Ordovician continental paleogeography and paleoenvironment for the Michigan basin from paleomagnetic and faunal analysis”
- Gunawardana, Hiruni (September 2015 – present; co-supervised with G. Pratt) M.Sc. Geophysics, University of Western Ontario: “Petrophysical Properties and 3D modeling of sulphide mineralization distribution at the Marathon Cu-PGE deposit, Marathon, Ontario”
- Warsame, Halima (September 2015 – present; co-supervised with C. Tsujita) M.Sc. Geology, University of Western Ontario: “Paleogeography of Early Paleozoic Laurentia and Meguma, Avalonia terranes via paleomagnetism and faunal analysis
- Fernandes, Earl (Acc. M.Sc. Geology, 2015, University of Western Ontario): “Magnetic fabric of the Foy offset dyke, Sudbury, as a possible vector for sulphide mineralization”
- Gunawardana, Hiruni (B.Sc. Geology, 2015, University of Western Ontario): “Devonian paleoposition of Avalonia and Laurentia using paleomagnetic data from the McArras Brook Formation, Nova Scotia”
- Uribe, Diego (B.Sc. Geology 2014, University of Western Ontario): “Investigation of the mineralogical record of fireball fragmentation events in meteorite fusion crust”
- Bramble, Michael (B.Sc. Planetary Science 2014, University of Western Ontario, co-supervised with R. Flemming): “Quantification of grain size by 2D micro-XRD”
- Pol, Joshua (B.Sc. Geology 2014, University of Western Ontario, co-supervised with C. Tsujita): “Analysis of Middle Devonian coral growth ridges by means of quantitative visual based methods”
- Rupert, Alexandra (B.Sc. Geology 2014, University of Western Ontario, co-supervised with R. Flemming): “Quantification of ordinary chondrite shock metamorphism using micro-XRD”
- Round, Stephanie (B.Sc. Geology 2010; University of Western Ontario, co-supervised with R. Flemming): “Classification of meteorites by olivine unit cell using micro X-ray diffraction”
- Brown, Ross L. (B.Sc. Geophysics 2006; University of Western Ontario, co-supervised with L. Mansinha): “Locating subsurface structures by means of Ground Penetrating Radar and Magnetometer Surveys”
ES 2250Y co-instructor Second Year Field School (Spring 2015)
ES 4490E Senior Thesis class (2013-2014; 2014-2015)
ES 4450Y co-instructor Fourth Year Field School (Fall 2014)
ES 1086G “Origin & Geology of the Solar System” – online offering (Winter 2014)
ES 2240G “Catastrophic Events in Earth History” –online offering (Winter 2013)
ES 1081A “Resources, Environment and Sustainability in a Material Society” (Fall 2012)
ES 2260A "Stratigraphy and Sedimentology" (former Earth Sciences 260 - Fall 2007)