Laura Misener, PhD
- PhD (Alberta)
- MHK (Windsor)
- BHK (McMaster)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Management and Leadership
- Sociocultural Studies
- Social Impact of Sport and Events
- Disability Sport and Paralympic Games
- Physical activity and sport policy analysis
- Intersections of sport, physical activity, and health promotion
A comprehensive list of publications is available through Google Scholar.
- Frawley, S., Misener, L., Locke, D. & Schulenkorf, N. (2019). Global Sport Leadership. London, UK: Routledge.
- Misener, L., McPherson, G., McGillivray, D. & Legg, D. (2018). Leveraging Disability Sport Events: Impacts, Promises, and Possibilities. London, UK: Routledge.
Chapters in Edited Books
- Misener, L. & Lu, D. (2020). Changing parasport landscape and the evolution of the International Paralympic Committee governance. In Y. Yammamoto, B. Seguin, B. Garcia and D. Chatziefstathiou, Research Handbook in Olympic and Paralympic Games. London: Routledge.
- Rich, K. A. & Misener, L. (2020). Resisting, reproducing, and recreating rurality: Leisure in contemporary rural communities. In T. Blackshaw & T. Glover (Eds.), Leisure and its Communities: Rethinking Mutuality, Collective Expression and Belonging in the New Century. Routledge.
- Misener, L. & Wasser, K. (2020). Participatory Sport and Sport for Development: Response to Dr. Hayhurst. In J. Welty-Peachey and B.C. Green Partnerships for Sport Development and Peace. Urbana, IL: Sagamore.
Misener, L., & Howe, P.D. (2019). Sports and Disability. In J. Maguire, M. Falcous, and K. Liston, Business and Culture of Sports: Society, Politics, Economy, and Environment. London: Cengage. [Book Awarded Prose Award from Association of American Publishers]
- Misener, L., Bodin, K. & Quinn, N. (2019). Paralympics Paradox: Paralympics, Para-sport Bodies, and Legacies of Media Representation. In B. Hadley and D. MacDonald, Routledge Handbook of Disability Arts, Culture, and Media. London, UK: Routledge.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Quinn, N., Misener, L., & Howe, P.D. (2020). Too many chairs. Spatiality and Disability in Integrated Sporting Spaces. Sociology of Sport Journal. http://dx.doi.org/10.1123/ssj.2019-0146
- Misener, L., Lu, L., & Carlisi, R. (2020). Leveraging events to develop collaborative partnerships: Examining the formation and collaborative dynamics of the Ontario Parasport Legacy Group. Journal of Sport Management. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsm.2019-0283
- Pearson, E. & Misener, L. (2020). Canadian Media Representations of Para-athletes for the 2016 Paralympic Games. Olympika: The International Journal of Olympic Studies, 28, 1-29.
- Misener, L., Bodin, K., & *Kay, M. (2020). Governing Integration in Sport Systems: A Case Study of Swimming Canada. Case Studies in Sport Management, 8, S39-44.
- Rich, K. A. & Misener, L. (2020). Get Active Powassan: Developing sport and recreation programs and policies through participatory action research in a rural community context. Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise, and Health, 12(2), 272-288.
- Sant, S., Misener, L., & Mason, D. (2020). Leveraging sport events for tourism gain in host cities: a regime perspective. Journal of Sport & Tourism,23:4, 203-223.
- Bassi, H., Lee, C., Misener, L., Johnson, A.M. (2020). Exploring the characteristics of crowdsourcing: An online observational study. Journal of Information Science, Vol. 46(3) 291–312.
- McGillivray, D., O’Donnell, H., McPherson, G., & Misener, L. (2019). Repurposing the (Super) Crip: Media Representations of Disability at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games. Communication & Sport, 2167479519853496.
- Chen, S. & Misener, L. (2019). Event Leveraging in a Non-Host Region: Challenges and Opportunities. Journal of Sport Management, 33, 275-288.
- Rich, K. & Misener, L. (2019). Playing on the periphery: Troubling sport policy, systemic exclusion, and the role of sport in rural Canada. Social Inclusion. Doi: 10.17645/si.v5i2.1060
- Chen, C., Mason, D., & Misener, L. (2018). Exploring media coverage of the 2017 World Indigenous Games: A critical discourse analysis. Event Management, 22(6), 1009-1025.
Other Research Dissemination and Public Exhibitions
- Silk et al. (AHRC Research Team) (2020). ‘Re-presenting para-sport bodies: Disability and the cultural legacy of the Paralympic Games’ – AHRC Project Report. Available from http://pasccal.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/BU-3-Paralympic-Report-6.4.pdf
- Red Balloon Production [in conjunction with AHRC research Team] (2020). Parallel Lines (Documentary Film - the film is part of our wider research project dissemination Re-Presenting Para-Sport Bodies; PASCCAL).
- Silk et al. (AHRC Research Team) (July 2-5, 2020). Bodyparts Exhibition. An exhibition exploring artists interpretations of research on the cultural legacy of the Paralympics and public attitudes towards disability. Asian House, London, UK. http://pasccal.com/event/bodyparts-art-exhibition-to-open-2nd-5th-july/
- Smith, M. & Misener, L. (2020). Postponing the Olympics is the right call — curbing the coronavirus pandemic matters more than money. https://theconversation.com/postponing-the-olympics-is-the-right-call-curbing-the-coronavirus-pandemic-matters-more-than-money-134577 Reprinted as IOC makes right call in postponing Olympics. https://news.westernu.ca/2020/03/ioc-makes-right-call-in-postponing-olympics/
- March 23, 2020. Canada’s decision regarding 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games. CBC Afternoon Drive Interview, CBC Morning Interview.
- February 13, 2020. Fighting coronavirus fears in Japan is an Olympian task. https://www.cbc.ca/news/fighting-coronavirus-fears-in-japan-is-an-olympian-task-1.5462171 Also CBC National Interview)
- October 22, 2018. What can be done to help protect kids in sport? CBC Afternoon Radio Syndication (7 interviews).
- February 23, 2018. A Curling Collapse Amid Olympic Success. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/world/canada/curling-collapse-olympics-metoo-canada-letter.html
- Sport Management at Western
- North American Society for Sport Management - Member-at Large
- North American Society for Sport Sociology
- European Association for Sport Management
- Leisure Studies Association
- Sport Management
- Glasgow Commonwealth Game Changers Gold Medal (University Research Division), Scottish Parliament
- Faculty of Health Sciences Recognition of Achievement in Teaching - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Associate Editor, Leisure Science
- 2016 Guest Editor, Special Issue on Blurring Sector Boundaries & New Organizational Forms: Journal of Sport Management
- 2014 Guest Editor, Special Issue on Managing Disability Sport: Sport Management Review (Volume 17, 2014)
- Member, Ontario Parasport Legacy Planning Committee
- Member International Paralympic Committee Impacts Research Group
- Chair, Sport Matters ‘Sport for Development’ Think Tank
- Shoemaker, K., Misener, L. et al. (2016-2019). Smart Healthy Campus. Western Interdisciplinary Development Initiative. (Value $200,000)
- Taks, M., Misener, L., Chalip, L., & Green, C. (2016-2019). Building Capacity for Sport Participation through Events. SSHRC/Sport Canada (Value $134,000)
- Misener, L., McPherson, G., & Legg, D. (2015-2017). Leveraging Parasport Events for Sustainable Community Participation. SSHRC/Sport Canada (Value $143,000)