Skip to Content
Laura Misener, PhD
Acting Director and
Room 3R08B, AHB
519 661-2111 x86000
- PhD (Alberta)
- MHK (Windsor)
- BHK (McMaster)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Management and Leadership
- Sociocultural Studies
- Social Impact of Sport and Events
- Disability Sport and Paralympic Games
- Physical activity and sport policy analysis
- Intersections of sport, physical activity, and health promotion
- Misener, L., McGillivray, D., McPherson, G., & Legg, D. (2016).. Examining Parasport Events through the lens of Critical Disability Studies. In I. Lamond (Eds), Critical Event Studies. London, UK: Palgrave Publishing.
- Misener, L. & Wasser, K. (2016). International sports development. In, E. Sherry, N. Schulenkorf, and P. Phillips (Eds.), Managing Sport Development. London: Routledge.
- McPherson, G., O’Donnell, H., Misener, L., & McGillivray, D. (2016). Home Grown Heroes or Superstars? Media Representation of Parasport at the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. Disability & Society, 31(5), 659-675. doi:10.1080/09687599.2016.1197823
- Misener, L. & Schulenkorf, N. (2016). Rethinking the Social Value of Sport Events Through an Asset-Based Community Development (ABCD) Perspective. Journal of Sport Management, 30(3), 329-340.
- Misener, L., McGillivray, D., McPherson, G., & Legg, D. (2015). Leveraging parasport events for sustainable community participation: The Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. Annals of Leisure Research. doi: 10.1080/11745398.2015.1045913.
- Rich, K. & Misener, L., & Dubeau, D. (2015). “Community Cup: We are a Big Family” Examining the Integrative Potential a Participatory Sport Event for Newcomers to Canada. Social Inclusion. do: http://dx.doi.org/10.17645/si.v3i3.141
- Misener, L., Taks, M., Chalip, L., & Green, B. C. (2015). Exploring the impact of sport events on sustainable sport participation outcomes in local communities. Managing Leisure, 20(2), 135-156.
- Misener, L. (2015). Leveraging parasport events for community participation: Development of a theoretical framework. European Sport Management Quarterly, 15(1), 132-153. doi: 10.1080/16184742.2014.997773
- Clark, R. & Misener, L. (2015). Understanding urban development through a sport events portfolio: A case study of London, Ontario. Journal of Sport Management, 19, 11-26. doi: 10.1123/jsm.2013-0259
- Sport Management at Western
- North American Society for Sport Management - Member-at Large
- North American Society for Sport Sociology
- European Association for Sport Management
- Leisure Studies Association
- Sport Management
- Associate Editor, Leisure Science
- 2016 Guest Editor, Special Issue on Blurring Sector Boundaries & New Organizational Forms: Journal of Sport Management
- 2014 Guest Editor, Special Issue on Managing Disability Sport: Sport Management Review (Volume 17, 2014)
- Member, Ontario Parasport Legacy Planning Committee
- Member International Paralympic Committee Impacts Research Group
- Chair, Sport Matters ‘Sport for Development’ Think Tank
- Shoemaker, K., Misener, L. et al. (2016-2019). Smart Healthy Campus. Western Interdisciplinary Development Initiative. (Value $200,000)
- Taks, M., Misener, L., Chalip, L., & Green, C. (2016-2019). Building Capacity for Sport Participation through Events. SSHRC/Sport Canada (Value $134,000)
- Misener, L., McPherson, G., & Legg, D. (2015-2017). Leveraging Parasport Events for Sustainable Community Participation. SSHRC/Sport Canada (Value $143,000)