Alison Doherty, PhD
- MPE, PhD (Ottawa)
- BA (Western University)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Management and Leadership
- Management of non-profit and voluntary sport, particularly at the community level
- Volunteerism in sport organizations and sport events
- Group and non-profit sport board dynamics
- Organizational capacity
- Developing an Integrated Model for Effective Youth Sport Concussion Management is an interdisciplinary research project funded by a SSHRC Partnership Development Grant (A. Doherty, PI). The partnership with SIRC and the Ottawa Sports Council is supported by a team of 14 scholars and sport community stakeholders identifying multi-level and interactive influences to recognition/awareness of concussion in youth sport, and reporting/removal behaviour.
- Mapping the Sport and Physical Activity Landscape of London, Ontario is an Undergraduate Student Research Internship project supervised by Prof. Doherty and in collaboration with the City of London. It will provide a foundation for identifying clusters of services and gaps in opportunities in the community.
A comprehensive list of publications is available through Google Scholar.
- Doherty, A., & Cuskelly, G. (2020). Organizational capacity and performance of community sport clubs. Journal of Sport Management. 34(3), 240-259.
- Doherty, A. (2020). Professionalisation of sport governance: Volunteer director motivations. In D. Shilbury & L. Ferkins (Eds.). Routledge handbook of sport governance (pp. 254-261). Oxford: Routledge.
- Millar, P., Clutterbuck, R., & Doherty, A. (2020). Understanding the adoption of long-term athlete development in one community sport club. Managing Sport & Leisure, 25, 259-274.
- Harman, A., & Doherty, A. (2019). Psychological contract in the volunteer youth sport coach environment: The community sport club perspective. Managing Sport & Leisure, 24(5), 321-338.
- Clutterbuck, R., & Doherty, A. (2019). Organizational capacity for domestic sport for development. Journal of Sport for Development, 7(12), 16-32.
- Doherty, A., & Patil, S. (2019). Reflections on major sport event volunteer legacy research. Journal of Policy Research in Tourism, Leisure and Events, 11(S1), s34-s42.
- Millar, P., & Doherty, A. (2018). “You can’t just start and expect it to work”: An investigation of strategic capacity building in community sport organizations. Journal of Sport Management, 32(4), 348-361.
- Organizational Behaviour/Human Resource Management in Sport, Recreation, and Leisure
- Organizational Theory
- Field Experience/Internship in Sport and Recreation Management
- International Sport Management
- Dr. Earle F. Zeigler Lecture Award, North American Society for Sport Management
- Dr. Garth Paton Distinguished Service Award, North American Society for Sport Management
- Research Fellow, North American Society for Sport Management
- Editor (2013-2016), Sport Management Review
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Sport Management, Sport Management Review
- Board Member, Sport Information Resource Centre (SIRC)
- International Visiting Scholar/Lecturer
- University of Minnesota
- Bond University (Australia)
- La Trobe University (Australia)
- Norwegian School of Sport Sciences
- German Sport University
- Russian International Olympic University
- Canadian Women & Sport Impact Research Committee