What is Covered?
- The University covers all property owned by the University or property which the University Corporate Insurance office has agreed to insure.
- If Western is required to insure property of others, the Corporate Insurance Office requires the following information for insurance purposes - type of equipment, purpose, where the equipment will be located, replacement value, duration equipment will be under the University’s control (copy of contract with third party if applicable).
- University property outside Canada and United States is subject to a maximum recovery. Contact Corporate Insurance if taking equipment outside Canada or U.S. as additional insurance may be required.
What is the Deductible?
- A University internal deductible of $500 is charged back to departments.
What is Not Covered?
- The University will not cover losses as a result of break-in/theft if there is no evidence of a forced entry/removal of equipment and if there is no police report for this loss. A break-in/theft must be reported within 48 hours of the occurrence to be covered by the Corporate Insurance.
- portable equipment placed in luggage and checked at airports when traveling.
- portable equipment left unattended and in the open in hotel rooms, conferences, field trips
- losses of equipment located at the personal residence or in the personal vehicle of members of the University
- currency, money, notes, securities
- aircraft and boats over forty feet long
- personal property of students, faculty or staff
- property of any individual or organization renting space from the University
- Perils (events which cause losses or damage) which are not covered by our policy include:
- mechanical or electrical breakdown, wear and tear, normal settling, contraction or expansion
- electrical disturbances to electrical appliances or devices due to electrical currents except for ensuing loss or damage which results from fire or explosion
- moths, rodents, vermin, termites or other insects
- damage resulting from pollution, rust or corrosion, dampness or dryness, evaporation or contamination
- loss resulting from dishonesty or infidelity of employees, or of others to whom property is loaned, rented or entrusted
- mysterious disappearance or unexplained loss or inventory shortage
- accidental damage/breakage
- nuclear accidents
How to Make a Property Claim
In the event of loss due to flood, fire, theft, etc. the Corporate Insurance Office needs to be notified within 48 hours and provided with the following information.
- Location of Loss
- Date of Loss
- Description of what occurred to cause the loss
- Equipment loss
- provide value of equipment - copy of original purchase information
- Western Police Occurrence Number (required for all break-ins)
Clean-up should not be attempted. Contact the Corporate Insurance office immediately to have professionally-trained personnel attend to the site/equipment.
Details of the loss are to be reported to the Corporate Insurance office within 48 hours of the occurrence in order for a claim to be insured.