General Information

The co-op work term is an integral part of the course EnvrSust 9300: Cooperative Education Experience. The course includes a series of seminars during September to April, that prepare the students for professional life and the labour market.

The MES program considers that a student’s effort in applying for positions which translates into effective communication of skills and experience (in person and in writing) is a key ingredient for a successful outcome for the co-op work term search. Willingness to work in different geographical areas and the number of applications for jobs were also positively correlated with a successful search. While the MES program cannot guarantee you a co-op work term position, it commits to provide support to the students, including:

  • Search for and post all known available positions;
  • Deliver seminars on applying for and interviewing for jobs;
  • Provide review services for cover letters and résumés;
  • Coordinate interviews where possible;
  • Work one-on-one with students that are not successful in their initial search.

Co-op Work Term

The purposes of the MES co-op work term are for the students to apply the skills and knowledge fostered during the two academic terms (i.e., September to April) and to develop new skills for the job market. The co-op work term position shall comprise a significant number of environmental sustainability related tasks. The employer and student determine appropriate learning objectives early in the summer term so that the co-op work term is meaningful for both. There is no list of prescribed skills or experience that the student must obtain but students shall note the following:

  • International students are required to obtain a work visa for the MES co-op work term. For more information, please visit You can also visit Western’s International Student Services office.
  • If you do not have a valid driver’s license, you should strongly consider obtaining one prior to the MES co-op work term. Many government jobs require a driver’s license and many other positions require a license in order to travel on behalf of the organization, particularly if the job involves visiting clients. It is also possible that you may be working with an employer who is located in an area without access to public transportation.

In recent years, most co-op work term jobs were located in Canada (with a large majority in Ontario) with very few international positions. It is important to note that roughly only a quarter of the co-op work term positions are located in London — you might want to consider an 8-month lease for your apartment as there is a good likelihood that you will have to move for the summer term of the program.

Finally, the students should remember that tuition and fees need to be paid for the summer term even if there is no course scheduled in the program. For more information, click here.