MA Program Application
For September 2021 admission, the deadline is January 15th, 2021 for early acceptance. Applications submitted later will be considered if spaces remain.
While the Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies welcomes international applicants, it is important to note that, currently, international applicants admitted to our Master's graduate program may need to self-fund.
Intake into the program will be once per annum, in September. Admissions will be recommended by the departmental Graduate Committee. An honours BA in Women's, Gender, Sexuality or Feminist Studies with a minimum average of B+ (78%) for the last two years of study is strongly recommended for admission to the program. Students from other disciplines will be considered if they demonstrate adequate preparation in feminist theory and methodology (at least three full-course equivalents above the first-year level including one seminar at the third-year level or above).
1. Applications are to be submitted electronically to the School of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies at Western (SGPS).
Applicants can contact SGPS for assistance with their application at (519) 850-2341 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Please ensure that your university transcripts are uploaded and included with your on-line application. Transcripts issued in a language other than English must be accompanied by certified English translations.
3. Applicants must provide names and contact information of two academic referees. SGPS will contact the referees directly with directions for submitting references electronically.
4. If English is not the applicant's first language, official TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB scores taken within the past two years are required.
- TOEFL minimum: 630 (paper), 267 (electronic) or 109 (internet)
- IELTS minimum: 8.0
- MELAB minimum: 91 overall, with a minimum of 85 on each of the 3 parts, plus the oral/speaking component
5. MA applicants who intend to do the Independent Research Project (IRP) must submit a Statement of Interest of 300 - 500 words outlining the research topic they wish to pursue. MA applicants who intend to do the course-based degree must submit a short Statement of Interest of no more than 300 words indicating why they wish to undertake graduate work in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies.
6. Applications are not forwarded to the department until the form is submitted by the applicant and the application fee of CAN $115.00 has been paid.
7. All files will be considered by the Graduate Committee and early offers will be made starting in February 2021. Please contact us if you have any questions about the application process.
School of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies
Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies
Office: Lawson Hall 3260A
Phone: 519.661.2111 x84529