The Master of Data Analytics (MDA) is a one-year, full-time, interdisciplinary, professional science master’s program designed to produce high-skilled professionals ready to pursue an analytics-focused career. Once our students have gained the
- Gain access to innovative, motivated students who have both advanced technical knowledge in data analytics and an understanding of business concepts and ethics, communications and finance.
- MDA students are a reliable, responsible, and cost-effective solution for many employers seeking data analytics solutions.
- Opportunity to build a talent “pipeline” to provide on-going support to business projects while supporting Western and the Faculty of Science in developing industry-ready graduates who will be able to meet a growing need for data analytics expertise within your organization.
- The Master of Data Analytics (MDA) is a registered co-operative education program with theMinistry of Advanced Education & Skills Development and enables an employer to be eligible for the Ontario Co-operative Education Tax Credit that can reimburse an employer up to $3,000 of the costs incurred as a result of hiring an internship student.
- The ability to 'test drive' potential employees during a work integrated learning experience (co-op) allowing organizations to identify a strong ‘fit’ for full-time positions that may be available in the near future.
- Given the timeframe of the program, should a strong ‘fit’ be identified, employers may choose to offer our students extended placement terms, short-term contracts or full-time jobs, which are still eligible for the Ontario Co-operative Education Tax Credit. The first four months of any such option will still be considered internship and thus be eligible for an additional grant to offset up to $3,000 in costs to the employer.
As a co-op host, we ask that you commit to the following:
- Offer the students work projects that are relevant, and degree-related
- Provide orientation and training for the student when they begin their work term
- Impart your experience and wisdom through regular supervision and mentorship
Typical Salary and Costs
The average hourly wage for an MDA candidate is typically within $20-25. For a four-month placement, which equals about 500 hours of work, the overall cost, excluding benefits, will range from $10,000 - $12,000.
All of our four-month placements are eligible for The Ontario Co-operative Education Tax Credit (maximum credit $3,000 per four-month placement). Other funding for employers
Hiring a Student – The Process
Students will first complete academic studies between September-April and then a work integrated learning experience from May-August or beyond. As of May, candidates are available for 8, 12, 16-month work-terms, contract term positions or full-time roles.
MDA recruiting may begin in the Fall term; however, the most significant recruiting period for work term positions is
|Summer work placement jobs posted to MMASc class*||Starting November 1, 2017|
|Applications for posted positions typically due||January 8, 2018 - March 30, 2018|
|Interviews for posted positions held||January 15, 2018 - April 13. 2018|
|Students begin their placements||From April 30,
|Identification of learning outcomes and professional development for students||Within the first two weeks of the internship|
|Mid-term evaluation of learning outcomes||At the end of eight weeks|
|End-of-term evaluation of learning outcomes||End of internship|
|Review of student final report||August 2018|
*Please note: Employers are encouraged to submit summer work term postings by January 31,