Skip to Content
Harry Prapavessis, PhD
- PhD (Western Australia)
- BA, MA (Western University)
- Department of Oncology - Cross Appointment
Supervising Graduate Students
- Psychological Basis of Kinesiology
- Interventions to increase physical activity and decrease sedentary behavior
- Exercise as a therapy to improve health
- The role of psychological factors in the prediction, prevention and recovery of injury
- Dillon, K.., & Prapavessis, H., (2020, Advance online publication). "REducing SEDENTary Behavior Among Mild to Moderate Cognitively Impaired Assisted Living Residents: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial (RESEDENT Study)". Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. 10.1123/japa.2019-0440.
- Nagpal, T., Prapavessis, H., Campbell C.G., de Vrijer, B., Giroux, I., & Mottola, M.F (2020, early view). Do pre-pregnancy weight fluctuations and low adherence to nutrition and exercise recommendations during pregnancy predict excessive gestational weight gain? Journal of Behavioral Medicine https://doi.org/10.1007/s10865-020-00156-z
- Rollo, S., & Prapavessis, H. Sedentary Behaviour and Diabetes Information as a Source of Motivation to Reduce Daily Sitting Time in Office Workers: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. (2020, early view) Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being, doi:10.1111/aphw.12190
- Rollo, S., & Prapavessis, H (2020, early view). A combined Health Action Process Approach and mHealth intervention to increase non-sedentary behaviours in office-working adults—A randomized controlled trial. Applied Psychology: Health and Well-being doi: 10.1111/aphw.12201.
- Vargas-Terrones, M., Nagpal, T., Perales, M., Prapavessis, H., Mottola, M.F., & Barakat, R (2020, online first). Physical activity and prenatal depression: Beyond statistical significance by assessing the impact of reliable and clinical significant change. Psychological Medicine, 1-6. doi.org/10.1017/S0033291719003714
- Moulin, M.S., Lee, C.J., Tucker, P., Prapavessis, H., & Irwin, J.D. (2020). Past-week recall of sedentary time: validity of a weekly self-reported measure of sedentary time in university students. Translational Sports Medicine, 3, 127-133, doi.org/10.1002/tsm2.123
- Rombeek, M., De Jesus, S., Prapavessis, H., Dempsey, A.A., Fraser, D., Welisch, E., Altamirano-Diaz, L., & Norozi, K (2019 in press, online). Improving remote lifestyle intervention studies in children: Participant and caregiver feedback of the Smart Heart Study. Patient Education and Counselling. doi.org./10.10116/j.pec.2020.02.016
- Rollo, S., & Prapavessis, H. Sedentary Behaviour and Diabetes Information as a Source of Motivation to Reduce Daily Sitting Time in Office Workers: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. (2019). Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being, doi:10.1111/aphw.12190
- Nagpal, T.S., Prapavessis, H., Campbell, C.G., de Vrijer, B., Bgeginski, R., Hosein, K., Paplinskie, S., Manley, M., & Mottola, M (2019). Sequential or simultaneous introduction of nutrition and exercise behaviors during pregnancy – Which strategy improves program adherence? A randomized controlled trial. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 1-11. doi: 10.1007/s12529-019-09840-0.
- Morava, A., Fagan, M.J., & Prapavessis, H. (2019). Effects of Caffeine and Acute Aerobic Exercise on Working Memory and Caffeine Withdrawal. Scientific Reports-Nature, 9(1), 1-9. 10.1038/s41598-019-56251-y
- Smith, S., Fagan, M.J., LeSarge, J.C., & Prapavessis, H. (2019). Standing and dynamic sitting in the university classroom: A pilot study. Journal of Ergonomics, 9(3) 1-8. 10.35248/2165-7518.104.22.168
- Smith, S., Deck, S., & Prapavessis, H. (2019). Standing and dynamic sitting in the university classroom: Perceptions of students and faculty. Journal of Ergonomics, 9(4), 1-8. 10.35248/2165-7522.214.171.1246.
- Fagan, M.J., Nagpal, T.S., Fitzgeorge, L., Smith, W.J., Rosaasen, J., Prapavessis, H (2019). Smoking zones versus smoke-free zones on Canadian post-secondary campuses: Which zone is more effective, adhered to and preferred? Tobacco Prevention & Cessation, 5(April). https://doi.org/10.18322/tpc/
- Sui, W., Fagan, M., Smith, S., Rollo, S., & Prapavessis, H (2019). The effects of sedentary behavior interventions on work-related productivity and performance outcomes in real and simulated office work: A systematic review. Applied Ergonomics, 75, 27-73. DOI:org/10/1016/j.apergo.2018.09.002
- Rollo, S., Crutchlow, L., Nagpal, T.S., Sui, W., & Prapavessis, H (2019). The effects of classroom-based dynamic seating interventions on academic outcomes in youth: A systematic review. Learning Environments Research, 22, 153-171 DOI: org./10.1007/s10984-018-9271-3
- Sui, W., Rollo, S., & Prapavessis, H (2019). The acute effects of exercise on cravings and withdrawal symptoms. In V. R. Preedy (Ed), The Neuroscience of Nicotine - Mechanisms and Treatment. Chapter 26, pp. 205-211. Elsevier, Cambridge, UK. DOI.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-813035-3.00055-1
- Rollo, S., Sui, Y., & Prapavessis, H (2019). Exercise as a smoking cessation aid. In V. R. Preedy (Ed), The Neuroscience of Nicotine - Mechanisms and Treatment. Chapter 55, pp. 459-465. Elsevier, Cambridge, UK. DOI.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-813035-3.00055-1
- Psychology of Human Movement Science
- Exercise and Health Behaviour Change
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- Canada Foundation for Innovation