The information in the following pages has been prepared as a general guide to assist new, current and visiting faculty members to understand the official documentation required by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to live and work in Canada. The information contained on this website is not a substitute for reviewing the Citizenship and Immigration website. Carefully review all documentation sent to you by the University and information provided by the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. It is the responsibility of each foreign national to review the criteria set by Service Canada and IRCC.

Foreign Academics

All Foreign Nationals who accept a probationary and tenured appointment at Western University must possess a work permit issued by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) before the start of employment.

Foreign Academic Visitors (Temporary Visitors)

Foreign Nationals who visit The University of Western Ontario as academic visitors are required to obtain the necessary immigration documents to enter Canada, remain in Canada and/or to be paid by Western University and may need to abide by the International Immobility Program (IMP).

Permanent Residence

Foreign Nationals who have been hired into probationary or tenured positions at Western must apply for permanent residency if they plan on staying and living in Canada.

Canadian Citizenship

After becoming a Canadian permanent resident, some individuals may consider applying for Canadian Citizenship.