Office of Faculty Relations

Permanent Residence

Foreign Nationals who have been hired into probationary or tenured positions at Western must apply for permanent residency if they plan on staying and living in Canada.  Work permits are issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada and intended to be temporary.  Work permits are not issued indefinitely.

Citizenship & Immigration Canada has a number of different immigration streams to which foreign Nationals may apply through for permanent residence.  Each stream has different eligibility criteria that must be met by the principal applicant; therefore, please review the CIC website for more information.

Extensive documentation is required in preparation for filing a complete permanent residence application. Some of the major documents that are required for submission include, but not limited to, the following:

Police Clearance Certificates
Clearances will be required for all applicants over the age of 18 for all countries where you have lived for six months or longer since the age of 18.  Police clearances must be issued within three months preceding the date that you send in your application.

Identity Documents
All applicants (primary applicant and dependent children) will need to include photocopies of birth, marriage, separation, and/or divorce certificates in the application. In cases where there are dependent children who will be accompanying the principal applicant to Canada, custody papers or notarized letters from ex-spouses will need to be included to confirm the custody arrangement.  

Work Experience
Notarized employment contracts from your current and previous employers.

Proof of Language Proficiency
When submitting an application through the Canadian Experience class stream, the primary applicant must submit original results of the IETLS exam taken within the past two years.  See the CIC website for details on the language requirements.