Interdisciplinary Development Initiatives
About the Interdisciplinary Initiatives Program
The Interdisciplinary Development Initiatives Program (IDIs) provides seed funding for projects that further Western’s research and teaching mission, attract scholars and graduate students to our University, and bring prestige to Western. These IDIs, led by leading or emerging academic scholars, have articulated undergraduate, graduate and research dimensions, and involve the participation and collaboration of individuals across disciplinary boundaries.
Round Seven of the Interdisciplinary Initiatives Program: Call for Nominations
The 2015-16 University budget included an allocation of $4 million to the IDI Program, to be distributed over the 2015-16 through 2019-20 four-year budget planning period. In 2015-16 and 2016-17, the 5th and 6th round of the IDI Program resulted in the distribution of $1 million to four projects in 2015-16 and $ 977,000 to three projects in 2016-17. In 2017-18, another distribution of up to $1 million will be competitively awarded from this allocation.
Proposals must be submitted through Deans Offices and received in the Office of the Vice-Provost (Academic Planning, Policy and Faculty) by February 2, 2018.
Follow this link for the procedures, criteria and terms of reference for the Program utilized in Rounds One through Six of the Program, and to be used again in Round Seven. The updated forms can also be found at this link.
**Please note: The preferred browser for PDF fillable forms is Internet Explorer. Different browsers have defaults built in to open up PDF documents but these defaults are not supportive of all form types. If using another browser, it is best to save the document to the desktop first and open it from that location. Alternatively, the defaults for these other browsers can be changed by following the instructions at: https://helpx.adobe.com/livecycle/kb/xfa-forms-firefox-chrome.html
Rounds One through Six of the Interdisciplinary Initiatives Program
The IDI Program has funded 30 projects to date: eight projects in 2007-08; five projects in 2008-09; six projects in 2010-11; four projects in 2012-13; four projects in 2015-16 and three projects in 2016-17. Each year, an interdisciplinary committee selected these projects for funding from a total of 87 proposals received. Over the first six rounds of the Program, $6.6M has been distributed.
The funded projects (listed below) include proposals that aim to develop new research institutes, graduate programs, undergraduate programs, and a range of other ventures. Each title in the list below is a link to a more detailed description of the project.
- Advanced Materials and Biomaterials
- Applied Indigenous Scholarship
- Bone and Joint Health
- Building an Intellectual Community
- Building Teaching and Research Excellence Through the Africa Institute
- Developmental Biology
- Digital Humanities
- Environment & Sustainability
- Financial Innovation and Risk in Financial Institutions
- Global Mental Health Incubator for Disruptive Solutions
- Graduate Collaborative Program Molecular in Imaging
- Healthy Living Across the Lifespan
- Indigenous Health and Well-Being
- Interdisciplinary Approaches to Linguistics
- Interface of Science and Medicine
- Leadership for Public Health Transformation
- Mary J. Wright Centre for Research and Education at Merrymount
- Microfluidics Meets Microbiology
- Migration and Ethnic Relations
- Music, Cognition, and the Brain
- Population and Life Course Studies
- Planetary Science and Exploration
- Smart Healthy Campus
- Space Science and Exploration
- Soochow - Western Centre for Synchrotron Radiation
- Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine
- Western’s Network for Industry 4.0 in Canada