After becoming a Canadian permanent resident, some individuals may consider applying for Canadian Citizenship. Canada's Immigration and Refugee Act allows for Canadians to hold more than one citizenship.
More information on the Canadian Citizenship process may be found through the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada website. However, to meet the minimum requirements for Canadian Citizenship as an adult, the following criteria must be met:
- Applicant must be 18 years or older;
- Demonstrate an understanding of English or French;
- Demonstrate an understanding of Canadian culture and the rights and responsibilities of becoming a Canadian citizen;
- Must not be under a removal order;
- Must not be a security threat;
- Must not be under an immigration, criminal or security prohibition.