Liliana Alvarez, PhD
School of Occupational Therapy
Room 2581, Elborn College
- Postdoctoral Fellowship (Western)
- PhD (Alberta)
- MSc (Universidad de Los Andes, Colombia)
- BScOT (Universidad del Rosario, Colombia)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Driving Rehabilitation Research
- Role of driving simulation, vehicle automation and ICTs in the participation of individuals across the life-span
- Assistive Technologies
- Robotic Assistive Technologies: Principles and Practice (Cook and Encarnacao, Eds.): Ethical and Social Implications of the Use of Robots in Rehabilitation Practice
- Driving Simulation for Assessment, Intervention, and Training: A guide for Occupational Therapy and Health Care Professionals (Classen, Ed.): Chapters 13- Simulated Driving Performance of Healthy Teens; & Chapter 22- In-vehicle technology and Driving Simulation
- Classen, S., Krasniuk, S., Knott, M., Alvarez, L., Monahan, M., Morrow, S., Danter, T. (2016). Inter-Rater Reliability of Western University’s On-Road Assessment. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy. In Press.
- Classen, S., Alvarez, L., Chen, C., Ferreira, P., Meyer C., Nywening, A. (2016). Developing a Canadian-specific version of the Fitness-to-Drive Screening Measure©. OTJR: Occupation, Participation and Health. In Press.
- Ravenek, M., & Alvarez, L. (2016). Use of Mobile 'Apps' in Occupational Therapy: Therapist, Client and App Considerations to Guide Decision Making. World Federation of Occupational Therapists Bulletin. In Press.
- Classen, S., Medhizadah, S., Alvarez, L., & Krasniuk, S. (2016). The Fitness-to-drive Screening Measure©: Patterns and Trends for Canadian Users. In Press. The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy. In Press.
- Classen, S., Alvarez, L. (2015). Editorial: Evidence-Informed Reviews—Moving Occupational Therapy Practice and Science Forward. OTJR: Occupation, Participation and Health, 35 (4), 199-203.
- Alvarez, L., Wiebe, S.A., Adams, K., Hope, A., Cook, A. (2014) The Neurophyiology of augmentative manipulation: A method for technical implementation. Technology and Disability.
- Encarnação, P., Alvarez, L., Rios, A., Maya, C., Adams, K., & Cook, A. M. (2013). Using virtual robot mediated play activities to assess cognitive skills. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology. Early Online, pp. 1-11.
- Alvarez L., Rios A.M., Adams K., Encarnação P., Cook A. (2013) From Infancy to Early Childhood: The Role of Augmentative Manipulation Robotic Tools in Cognitive and Social Development for Children with Motor Disabilities. In J.L. Pons et al. (Eds.): Converging Clinical & Engineering. Research on NeuroRehabilitation. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelbergpp, 905–909. Proceedings of the International Conference on Neurorehabilitation, Toledo, Spain, November 14-16, 2012.
- Cook, A., Adams, K., Encarnaçao, P., Alvarez, L. (2012) The Role of Assisted Manipulation in Cognitive Development. Developmental Neurorehabilitation, 15(2): 136-148
- i-Mobile Research Lab
- School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universidad del Rosario, Bogota, Colombia
- Assistive Technology Lab, University of Alberta
- Neurological and musculoskeletal disorders and their impact on occupational performance and participation
- Assistive Technology
- 2015 Keynote Speaker, International Breakfast, American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) 95th Annual Conference, Nashville, Tennessee
- 2013 Highly Commended Distinction, in the Young Researcher Award Competition. 12th European "Association for the Advancement of Assistive Technology in Europe (AAATE)" Conference
- 2009 Scholarship Francisco José de Caldas for Young Researchers. National Administrative Department of Science, Technology and Innovation, Bogotá, Colombia.
- 2007 Merit Degree distinction for academic excellence in Occupational Therapy, Universidad del Rosario, Colombia.
- 2006 The Night of the Best: Highest national score in the National Occupational Therapy Undergraduate Exam ECAES. Education Ministry, Presidential Office, Colombia.
- Interim Program Coordinator - Research, World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT)
- Principal Delegate - Colombia, World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT)
- Assistant Editor, OTJR: Occupation, Participation and Health
- Member, Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists
- Member, American Occupational Therapy Association
- Member, Association for Driver Rehabilitation Specialists