Dr. Robert Mereu
Ph.D. Western University
Office: BGS 1000E
- Southern Ontario Seismic Network data analysis
- Seismicity and earthquake magnitude
- Crustal and upper mantle seismology
- Inversion, wave propagation, scattering and attenuation
- Time series analysis, digital filtering, signal enhancement, spectral stacking
- Instrumentation and seismic array analysis
- Mereu, R. F., S. Dineva, and G.M. Atkinson, 2013. The application of velocity spectral stacking to extract information on source and path effects on small-to-moderate earthquakes in Southern Ontario with evidence for constant-width faulting. Seismological Research Letters. V84. 899-916.
- Dineva, S., and R. Mereu, 2009. Energy magnitude: A case study for Southern Ontario/Western Quebec (Canada), Seismological Research Letters. V80, 136-148.
- Dineva, S., Eaton, D. , Ma, S. and Mereu R.F., 2007. The October 2005 Georgian Bay, Canada, earthquake sequence: Mafic Dykes and their role in the mechanical heterogeneity of the Precambrian crust. Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. V97:457-473.
- Dineva, S. Eaton, D.W., and Mereu, R.F., 2004. Seismicity of the southern Great Lakes: Revised earthquake hypocentres and possible tectonic controls. Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. V 94:1902-1916.
- Mereu, R.F., 2003, The heterogeneity of the crust and its effect on seismic wide-angle reflection fields: Chapter 10, pages 257-279: In Heterogeneity of the Crust and Upper Mantle: nature, scaling and seismic properties. Eds. John A. Goff and Klaus Holliger).Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publisher.
- Mereu, R.F. 2003, Simulating a mechanical pen recorder with a computer program. Seismological Research Letters. V 74: 44-45.
- Mereu, R.F., Asmis, H.W., Dunn, B., Brunet, J., Eaton, D., Dineva, S., and Yapp, A., 2002. The seismicity of the western lake Ontario Area: Results from the Southern Ontario Seismic Network (SOSN) (1992-1-2001). Seismological Research Letters, V 73: 534-551.
- Mereu, R.F. 2000. The effect of small random reflectors on the complexity of Pg coda. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, V 120: 183-199)
- Mereu, R.F. 2000. The complexity of the crust and Moho under the southeastern Superior and Grenville Provinces of the Canadian Shield from seismic wide-angle reflection data. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences. V 37: 439-458
- Roy, B., and Mereu, R., 2000.. Applications of seismic pattern recognition and gravity inversion techniques to obtain enhanced subsurface images of the earth's crust under the Central Metasedimentary Belt, Grenville Province, Ontario. Geophys J. Int.. V143, 735-751.
- Winardhi, S. and Mereu, R.F., 1997. Crustal structure of the Superior and Grenville Provinces of the southeastern Canadian Shield. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences , V 34, 1167-1184.
- Hamilton, D. and Mereu, R.F..1993. 2-D Tomographic imaging across the North American Mid-continent Rift system. Geophysical J.l Int. V112, 344-358.
- Atkinson, G. and Mereu, R.F..1992. The shape of ground motion attenuation curves in southeastern Canada. Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. V82, 2014-2031.
- Wu, J. and Mereu, R.F.. 1992. Crustal structure of the Kapuskasing Uplift from Lithoprobe near-vertical/wide-angle seismic reflection data. Journal of Geophysical Research., V97, 17441-17453.
- Epili, D, and Mereu, R.F., 1991.The Grenville Front Tectonic Zone: Results from the 1986 GLIMPCE onshore seismic wide-angle reflection and refraction experiment, Journal of Geophysical Research. V96, 16,335-16,348.
- Zeng, X. and Mereu, R.F., 1990. Seafloor seismic velocity: Results from an analysis of the water bottom multiples recorded from the Arctic Ice Island experiment. Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists, 26, 33-46.
- Halchuk, S. and Mereu, R.F., 1990.A seismic investigation of the crust and Moho underlying the Peace River Arch, Canada, Tectonophysics, 185, 1-19.
- Mereu, R.F., and Epili, D., 1990. Pg Shingles: Preliminary results from the onshore GLIMPCE refraction experiment. Tectonophysics. 173, 617-626.
- Mereu, R.F., 1990.The complexity of the crust from refraction/wide-angle reflection data. In special issue "Scattering and Attenuation of Seismic Waves". Eds. R.S. Wu and K. Aki. PAGEOPH, V 132, 269-288
- Mereu, R.F., Baerg, J., and Wu, J., 1989. The complexity of the continental lower crust and Moho from PmP data: Results from COCRUST experiments.
- Epili, D. and Mereu, R.F., 1989.The GLIMPCE seismic experiment: Onshore refraction and wide-angle PmP observations from a fan profile over the Lake Superior Midcontinent Rift System. In Proceedings of the U7 Interdisciplinary Symposium of the IUGG, Vancouver 1987 on "Properties and Processes of the Earth's Lower Crust". Eds: R.F. Mereu, St. Mueller, and D. Fountain, American Geophys Union Geophys Monograph 51, IUGG Vol 6.338 pages.
- Mereu, R.F., Brunet,J. Morrissey,K., Price,B. and Yapp.A. 1986. A study of the micro-earthquakes of the Gobles oil field area of Southwestern Ontario. Bull. Seism.Soc.Am., 76, 1215-1223.
- Ojo,S.B. and Mereu. R.F. 1986. The effect of random velocity functions on the travel times and amplitudes of seismic waves. Geophysical J.R. astr, Soc. 84, 607-618.
- Mereu, R.F., Wang, D.P. Kuhn,O., Forsyth,D., Green,A.g., Morel,P., Buchbinder, G., Crossley, D., Schwarz, E.,duBerger, R., Brooks, C., and Clowes, R. 1986. The 1982 COCRUST experiment across the Ottawa-Bonnechere Graben and Grenville Front in Ontario and Quebec, Geophysical J.R. astr, Soc.l84, 491-618.
- Mereu,R.F., Mykkeltveit,S, Husebye,E.S. 1983 FENNOLORA recordings at NORSAR Journal of Geophysics, V52,pp 119-130..R. astr, Soc.l84, 491-618.
- Mereu,R,F., and Ojo S.B. 1981 The scattering of seismic waves through a crust and upper mantle with random lateral and vertical inhomogeneities. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, V26, 233-240.
- Hearty D., Mereu R.F. and Wright C. 1977. Lateral variations in upper crustal structure below the La Malbaie area from slowness, azimuth and travel-time measurements of teleseisms. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences. V14, 2284-2293.
- Ram A. and Mereu R.F. 1977. Lateral variations in the upper mantle structure around India as obtained from Gauribidanur seismic array data. Geophysical Journal of the Royal Astr. Soc.. V49, 87-114.
- Mereu R.F., Majumdar S.C. and White R.E. 1977 The structure of the crust and upper mantle under the highest ranges of the Canadian Rockies from a seismic refraction survey, Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences. V14 196-208.
- Mereu, R.F. 1976. Exact wave-shaping with a time-domain digital filter of finite length. Geophysics, V41, 659-672.
- Mereu, R.F. Simpson, D.W. and King,D. 1974. Q and its effect on the observations of the upper mantle travel-time branches. Earth and Planetary Sci. Letters, V21, 439-447.
- King,D.W., Mereu,R.F. and Muirhead K, 1973. The measurement of apparent velocity using adaptive processing techniques on data from the Warramunga array. Geophysical. J.R.astr. Soc. V35,137-167.
- Mereu, R.F. and Jobidon , G, 1971. A seismic investigation of the crust and Moho on a line perpendicular to the Grenville Front Can. Journal of Earth Sciences, V 8, 1553-1583.
- Mereu, R.F., 1969 The effect of Moho topography on the amplitudes of seismic waves. Journal of Geophysical Research, V 74, 4371-4376.
- Mereu, R.F. and Hunter, J.A.M. 1969. Crustal and upper mantle structure under the Canadian Shield from Project Early Rise Seismic data. Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. V59, 147-165.
- Hunter, J.M. and R.F. Mereu, 1967.The crust of the earth under Hudson Bay, Canadian Journal. of Earth Sciences, V4. 949-960.
- Mereu, R.F. 1966. An iterative method for solving the time-term equations. Am. Geophys Union Monograph, No 10. The Earth Beneath the Continents, ed by Steinhart and Smith, pp495-497.
- Mereu, R.F. 1965. A study of the apparent angles of emergence at Marathon, Ontario from Lake Superior data. .Bull. Seism. Soc. am. V55, 405-416.