International Learning Awards
Available to full-time undergraduate students in second year, planning an international learning experience in their third year of study. If you have a cumulative 80% average with a full-time course load at the end of Year 2, you will automatically be eligible for a $1,000 award to help finance an international learning experience.
What kind of experiences are eligible?
Students can participate in any of the following experiences during the following terms: summer prior to third year; fall and winter term of third year and summer following third year. Experiences should be at least one week in length. Funding cannot be used for activities in first, second or fourth year.
- Academic Exchange
- Summer Study Abroad (before or after year 3)
- International field courses (curriculum-based)
- Alternative Spring Break
- International Community Engaged Learning
- International Research
- Other University-led experiences
Conferences are not an eligible experience for this award.
To qualify for the award, the student's chosen international experience must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Be organized or approved by Western University staff, faculty or department
- Be eligible for academic credit
- Form a required component of the student's degree program
Who qualifies for the award?
- Full-time undergraduate students registered in a regular undergraduate program who have a cumulative 80% average at the end of Year 2
- Students enrolled in a second-entry undergraduate degree do not qualify for the International Learning Award (i.e. business, dentistry, law, medicine)
- Recipients of National Scholarships are not eligible
- Students registered at affiliate university colleges are not eligible
- Experiences inside Canada are not eligible.
Students may only receive one International Learning Award during their Western career.
How to apply
Students should complete the online application form prior to participating in the international experience.
There are two application deadlines annually: November 15, with decisions being released mid-January; and February 15, with decisions being released early April.
Applications for the February 15 deadline will open January 17.
Successful applicants will be notified via their Western email address.
Student Financial Services Officer
Office of the Registrar
Western Student Services Building
519.661.2111, Ext. 80256