International Student Programs
The Teaching Support Centre offers communication and orientation programs for International Graduate Students at Western. These programs are designed to help international students make the transition to living in Canada, and they also allow students to develop English language skills for the classroom.
International Teaching Assistant Day is a half-day conference held in early September, while the other courses are offered at various times throughout the year.
- International Teaching Assistant Day (ITA Day)
- Communication in the Canadian Classroom Series
- The Language of...
Communication Strategies for International Graduate Students (CSIGS)
are e-manuals primarily for international and newcomer graduate
students to familiarize them with the norms of communication in Canada
and the United States. International students need to be familiar with
norms about communication in order to be successful when they teach,
communicate with their supervisors, and apply for jobs, as cultural
differences exist in all of these realms. Those who work with
international students will benefit from reading CSIGS to become aware
of alternate norms of communication in order to support, understand, and
work productively with students from other cultural backgrounds.
- International Graduate Teaching Assistant Conference (ITA Day)
- International graduate students (on student visas, landed, or permanent residents) who are new to teaching in Canada are invited to spend this half-day with colleagues from the Western teaching and learning community.
- Communication in the Canadian Classroom
- Effective communication is an essential element of good teaching and learning, good research, and success in a university environment. Join us for a 12-hour seminar series, and learn to communicate with greater confidence in the Canadian academic environment.
- Teaching in the Canadian Classroom
- Effective teaching is an essential element of being an international teaching assistant and the cornerstone of presentations for all graduate students.