International Student Programs
The Teaching Support Centre offers communication and orientation programs for International Graduate Students at Western. These programs are designed to help international students make the transition to living in Canada, and they also allow students to develop English language skills for the classroom. Participation in these workshops will allow you to practice strategies to enhance communication with your supervisors, peers, and students. All sessions listed below fulfill credit requirements for the Western Certificate in Academic & Professional Communication.
|November||Language of Difficult Conversations
- International Graduate Teaching Assistant Conference (ITA Day)
- International graduate students (on student visas, landed, or permanent residents) who are new to teaching in Canada are invited to spend this half-day with colleagues from the Western teaching and learning community.
- Communication in the Canadian Classroom
- Effective communication is an essential element of good teaching and learning, good research, and success in a university environment. Join us for a 12-hour seminar series, and learn to communicate with greater confidence in the Canadian academic environment.
- Teaching in the Canadian Classroom
- Effective teaching is an essential element of being an international teaching assistant and the cornerstone of presentations for all graduate students.
- The Language of... Series
- A series of workshops for international graduate students who wish to practice academic language in a variety of situations.
- CSIGS E-manual
The goal of Communication Strategies for International Graduate Students (CSIGS) is to familiarize new graduate students with cultural expectations for communication in Canada and the United States. International students will find information in this e-book useful when they teach, communicate with their supervisors, and apply for jobs; while faculty and staff will benefit from reading CSIGS as they work with and support students from a variety of cultural backgrounds.