Lecturer, PhD Candidate
Women's Studies and Feminist Research
Office: Lawson Hall 3235
Phone: 519-661-2111 ext 85112
Postfeminism, Media, Sexual Health. Doctoral research, “Assuming Feminism: Postfeminism, postracism, and gendered, neo-liberal health discourses in online sexual health information”, has been supported by funding from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council and OGS.
Cayen, L., Charles, N., & Blake, E. Constitutive Knowledges: Subject-Formation through the Response-Abilities of Girls. Panel for Girls 2012 Conference, Mount Saint Vincent University, Halifax, March 2012.
Cayen, L. Sexualizing the Tween Girl: A Case Study of the HPV Vaccine in Canadian Media. Paper presented at The Second Biennial Bilingual Conference of the Canadian Society for the Sociology of Health, Ottawa, October 2010.
Polzer, J., Knabe, S., Cayen, L., & Daniels, M. Buying Into It: Risk and Responsibility in Health-Related Media Constructions of Female Sexuality and Reproduction. Panel for Canadian Women’s Studies Association Conference, Ottawa, May 2009.
Cayen, L. Accessorization and Sexualization of Young Girls in Advertisements for Hormonal Contraceptives. Paper presented at retail and community store, The Red Tent Sisters, Toronto, ON, 2008.
Cayen, L. “On your body and off your mind”: Constructions of Adolescent Sexuality in Advertisements for Hormonal Contraception. Paper presented at the Feminist Research Group Conference, University of Windsor, 2008.
Cayen, L. On the Pill: A Discourse Analysis of Advertisements for Oral Contraceptives. Poster presented at the Western Research Forum, Western University, 2008.
- Course author and instructor of (M)Ad Women: (Post)-feminism, advertising, and activism (2012)
- the course instructor of Bad Girls: Sexual dissidence and popular culture (2015)
- TA appointments include Women and Health (2013-2014), Legal Problems Affecting Women (2011), Media in Society (MIT 2009), Introduction to Women's Studies (2007-2008)
- Editorial Committee Member of Shift: Graduate Journal of Visual and Material Culture (2012)
- Graduate Student Representative for WSFR Graduate Committee (2010-2011)