Senate Agenda , September 22, 2000 - EXHIBIT I, Appendix 1
Composition and Rules of Procedure
1. The Faculty of Arts shall consist of the following departments:
Classical Studies, English, French, Modern Languages and Literatures, Philosophy, and Visual Arts.
Admission of other departments to the Faculty of Arts will require the following steps:
(i) application of the department concerned to the Senate.
(ii) approval of this application by the Senate, after consultation with the Faculty of Arts and any other Faculty concerned.
2. The Head of the Faculty of Arts shall be the Dean of Arts who shall be assisted by one or more
Assistant Deans. Appointments to these positions shall be made in accordance with current
3. Student enrolment in the Faculty of Arts shall consist of all first year students of the University who select three or more courses offered by the Faculty of Arts, students in Honors Programs in departments of the Faculty of Arts, all General BA students who select Majors offered by departments within the Faculty of Arts, and any students who, in the opinion of Senate, have academic needs which would best be met by enrolment in the Faculty of Arts.
4. There shall be a Council of the Faculty of Arts, responsible to the Senate and composed of:
(A) The following ex officio members:
(i) The Vice-Chancellor.
(ii) Such Vice-Presidents of the University as Senate may determine.
(iii) The Dean (who shall be Chair of the Council) and
Assistant Dean(s) of the Faculty of
(iv) The Dean (or an
Assistant Dean) of the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
(v) The Academic Deans of the Affiliated Colleges, non-voting.
(vi) Such other ex officio members as the Senate may determine.
(i) All full-time members of the departments of the Faculty of Arts who hold the rank of Lecturer or
(ii) All part-time and visiting members of the departments of the Faculty of Arts who hold the rank of Assistant Professor or higher.
(iii) All full-time members of the Faculty of the University holding joint appointments with the departments in the Faculty of Arts.
(iv) The following representatives holding the rank of Lecturer or higher:
(v) 6 students registered in the Faculty of Arts to be selected by the student body.
(vi) 1 member of the Regular Full-Time administrative staff of the Faculty of Arts, elected thereby
(vii) Such other members as the Senate may determine.
5. Members of the above categories, unless otherwise specified, shall be entitled to participate fully in meetings of the Council, speak, propose motions, vote on all questions and sit on Committees elected at Council meetings.
6. The Council shall meet at least twice each year and at such other times as the Council, the Chair, or the Senate may prescribe. A minimum of twenty-five percent (25%) of the members of the Council shall constitute a quorum.
7. A special meeting of the Council shall be called on the written notice of ten (10) of its members, and shall be convened within seven (7) days thereafter, to consider matters set out in the notice of meeting.
8. The Council shall advise the Senate on all matters under the jurisdiction of the Senate which pertain to the Faculty of Arts or which are referred to the Council by the Senate, and shall determine policy on all such matters if so delegated by the Senate.
9. The Council shall establish
an Executive Committee and such other Committees as it considers
necessary. The Council may delegate authority to its Committees but these shall be responsible to the
10. The Standing Committees of the Faculty of Arts shall be such Committees as the Faculty or the Senate may, from time to time, determine.
11. The by-laws and regulations for the conduct of the proceedings of Council
and its Executive
Committee shall, where practicable, be those adopted by the Senate.