Science Internship Program - for employers
The Science Internship Program is Western’s cooperative education opportunity for undergraduate Science students. It allows qualified Western University Science students to work in paid, career related placements for an extended period, at a senior point in their academic studies. Under the Science Internship Program students work full time for a period of 8 to 16 months before returning to Western University to complete the final year of a 4 year undergraduate Science degree. Click here to see our employer brochure.
Employers may create internship opportunities for students in Applied Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Sciences (Geo), Environmental Science, Mathematics, Physics & Astronomy, Statistical & Actuarial sciences, as well as the Basic Medical Sciences, including Anatomy & Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Epidemiology & Biostatistics, Medical Biophysics, Microbiology & Immunology, Pathology, Physiology and Pharmacology.
Past interns have contributed to Research and Development, Production Support such at Troubleshooting and Quality Assurance, Data Analytics and Systems Management.
Employers benefit by:
- gaining access to academically well-qualified students
- recruiting students with technical experience to work on special projects
- realizing a significant return on investment in training and recruitment costs through the extended work term (8-16 months)
- treating interns as regular employees who can take on responsibilities far beyond the typical duties assigned to a 4-month co-op or summer student and can participate in projects from beginning to end
- evaluating potential future employees
- having students act as ambassadors for their organization upon returning to Western
Ontario Employers who hire students in "degree-related work opportunities" are eligible for the Co-operative Education Tax Credit (CETC) of up to $3,000 for every 4 month work term.
"3M has partnered with Western’s Internship Program for almost ten years. We find that the interns bring us a fresh perspective and creative energy which is contagious. Several of our past interns are now working full time in our London manufacturing facility or in the Information Technology department. We look forward to a continued relationship with this wonderful program.”
Gayle Armstrong, I.T. Client Services Supervisor
3M Canada Company