Research Western
Funding Opportunites - Research
Further details regarding this announcement can be found at:

Grant Amount: $55K PA FOR THREE YEARS
Deadline: Dean's: Contact your Faculty Research Office for deadline details.
Internal: Mar 21, 2013
Sponsor's: Mar 28, 2013

Subject Areas: Cardiovascular Research, Cerebrovascular Research

The goal of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario (HSFO) Clinician Scientist award is to build capacity in Ontario for individuals who have clearly demonstrated excellence during their doctoral and post-doctoral training in cardiovascular or cerebrovascular research. Health care clinicians, such as nurses, pharmacists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists respiratory therapists, and physicians whose focus is cardiovascular or cerebrovascular and a) have demonstrated an ability to engage in research, and b) are pursuing a career in clinical research will be considered for this award.

A letter from the Dean and Department Head (or institutional equivalents) stating that the applicant will have 75% of his/her time allocated to research is required. Details as to how this 75% allocation of research time will be spent should be provided, as well as the commitments for the remaining 25%. In addition, assurances should be provided that, in the event that the application is successful, the institution will be prepared to assume responsibility for an additional 50% of the HSFO award as contribution to the personnel support of the applicant (salary and benefits).

Application Details:

A HSFO Clinician Scientist is an individual who has clearly demonstrated the potential to become an independent investigator. The purpose of this award is to assist such an individual in becoming a fully independent clinical investigator in the fields of cardiovascular or cerebrovascular research. Phase II Clinician Scientist applicants should hold at least $50,000/year of peer-reviewed research operating grant funding as the principal investigator. Candidates must have secured this funding at the time of their application. Phase II provides a contribution to stipend support for up to three years for Clinician Scientists where no more than eight years must have elapsed since their first academic appointment. Applications for Phase II are not restricted to holders of Phase I awards. For details on application and re-application, please see the Sponsor's website guidelines.

Applicants must submit to the Heart and Stroke Foundation-Ontario: One original collated paper application copy One CD containing one PDF of the complete application. Please refer to section `I? for the structure and format of the PDF application. A printed copy of the applicant's validated Common CV form. This is a web-based form, which allows CV information to be entered online. Please refer to for further instructions. See Sponsor WebSite for full details


NOTE: All Letters of Intent and Full Applications must be processed through Research Development & Services for institutional approval. Requests for Institutional approvals should be received no less than 3 days prior to the posted Sponsor deadline. A ROLA Proposal (bearing applicant, Chair and Dean electronic approvals) is required for each submission.
Western Contacts:

Sponsor Contacts:

2300 Yonge Street
Suite 1300
P.O. Box 2414
TORONTO, Ontario, Canada
416 4897100