Research Western
Funding Opportunites - Research
Further details regarding this announcement can be found at:

Grant Amount: $25K - $125K
Deadline: Dean's: Contact your Faculty Research Office for deadline details.
Internal: Jun 09, 2011
Sponsor's: Jun 16, 2011

Subject Areas: International Collaboration, Information Technology, Analytical Techniques, Library Technology, Digital Libraries, Digital Resources, Archival Program, Data Management, Data Analysis

The Digging into Data Challenge is an international grant competition sponsored by four leading research agencies, the Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC) from the United Kingdom, the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) from the United States, the National Science Foundation (NSF) from the United States, and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) from Canada. Applicants will form international teams from at least two of the participating countries. Winning teams will receive grants from two or more of the funding agencies and, one year later, will be invited to show off their work at a special conference. These teams, which may be composed of scholars and scientists, will be asked to demonstrate how data mining and data analysis tools currently used in the sciences can improve humanities and social science scholarship. The hope of this competition is that these projects will serve as exemplars to the field and encourage new, international partnerships among scholars, computer scientists, information scientists, librarians, and others.

The goals of the initiative are: - to promote the development and deployment of innovative research techniques in large-scale data analysis that focus on applications for the humanities and social sciences; - to foster interdisciplinary collaboration among scholars in the humanities, social sciences, computer sciences, computer sciences, library, archive, information sciences, and other fields, around questions of text and data analysis; - to promote international collaboration; and - to ensure efficient access to and sharing of the materials for research by working with data repositories that hold large digital collections. This competition is open only to international research projects. Each project represents a collaboration among 2-4 teams, each team representing one of the competition?s participating countries.

Application Details:

SSHRC invites applications for grants from social science and humanities researchers affiliated with a Canadian postsecondary educational institution. Each funder will have different rules and requirements, depending on its mission and its policies and procedures. Therefore, before you apply you should carefully read the RFP as well as the RFP Addenda for any of the funders to which you wish to apply. For Canadian teams, the award amount will range between CAN $25,000 and $125,000.

Project partners from Canada may apply for up to 75% of the total project cost. The remaining 25% must be provided by another agency that is a co-funder in this program (i.e., NEH, NSF or JISC). The actual mix of funding, however, must be determined by the expenditures to be incurred by the various partners in the application. Final applications must be received by 23:59 (Greenwich Mean Time) on June 16, 2011 and must be submitted via the competition website, The application consists of a cover sheet and nine separate documents that will be uploaded by the applicant to the competition website. All of the following nine documents should be saved as PDF (Portable Document Format) files prior to uploading via the competition website. Please note: Each national team that is applying must submit a budget.


NOTE: Letters of Intent and Full Applications are to be processed through Research Development Services for institutional signatures, and are to be accompanied by a completed RDAF form (bearing applicant, Chair and Dean signatures). Requests for Institutional signatures should be received no less than 3 days prior to the posted Sponsor deadline.
Western Contacts: Pocock,Katy
Russelo,Theresa M

Sponsor Contacts:

P.O. BOX 1610
OTTAWA, Ontario, Canada
613 992-3145