SSHRC Explore and Exchange Grants
This funding opportunity is supported by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) through its Institutional Grants (SIG) program and is administered by Research Western.
Through the SIG program, SSHRC provides annual block grants to help eligible Canadian postsecondary institutions fund, through their own merit review processes, small-scale research and research-related activities by their faculty and students in the social sciences and humanities. SIG funds are intended to help Canadian postsecondary institutions strengthen research excellence in the social sciences and humanities. In alignment with SSHRC's Indigenous Research Statement of Principles, this opportunity also welcomes applications involving Indigenous research.
- Due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, the SSHRC Exchange grant program has been postponed to a later date. Please check the Important Dates section for the updated deadline.
- Please visit Western’s COVID-19 Research Updates Page regulary to guide the development of your research projects.
- Support social sciences and humanities researchers with modest research funding requirements at any stage of career;
- Allow for small-scale innovation and experimentation by providing funding to develop a research project or conduct pilot work;
- Enable researchers to hire students at any level to participate in their research projects, thereby contributing to their professional development; and
- The maximum funding per grant is $7,000.
- Support the organization of small-scale knowledge mobilization activities, such as workshops and seminars, to encourage collaboration and the dissemination of research results both within and beyond the academic community; and
- Allow researchers to attend or present their research at scholarly conferences and other dissemination venues that align with SSHRC’s mandate to advance their careers and encourage the exchange of ideas and research results at the national and international level; and
- The maximum funding per grant is $5,000.
- Application Deadline: June 3, 2020
- Funding Start: July 1, 2020
- Application Deadline: September 30, 2020
- Funding Start: November 1, 2020
- A Principal Investigator (PI) must hold a research-eligible position at Western. If the PI ceases to hold an eligible appointment at the University during the tenure of the award, the grant will be cancelled and all remaining and recoverable monies returned to the common fund. PIs who were previously awarded an Explore or Exchange grant must submit their final research outcomes report in order to be eligible to apply for a new competition round.
- Visiting fellows and scholars are not eligible, nor are the costs incurred for their travel and residency.
- Students are not eligible to hold these grants; however, Western and SSHRC encourage researchers to include students in the proposed research or travel in accordance with SSHRC’s mandate to:
- support the development of the best or most promising highly qualified personnel with social sciences and humanities research and professional skills; and
- support students and scholars in gaining exposure to international social sciences and humanities scholarship.