CIHR Foundation Grant
The CIHR Foundation Grant program is designed to contribute to a sustainable foundation of established health research leaders, by providing long-term support for the pursuit of innovative and high-impact research programs.
Mid Career/Senior Investigators will be awarded 7-year grants.
New/Early Career Investigators are not eligible to apply to the Foundation Grant competition as a Program Leader. For the purposes of the Foundation Grant competition, CIHR defines a New/Early Career Investigator as someone who, at the registration deadline (August 15, 2018), has held a full-time appointment as an independent researcher (e.g. faculty appointment providing eligibility to apply for grants and/or supervise trainees) for a period of 0 to 60 months.
*NEW mandatory requirement (as of May 15, 2018)
Because CIHR is committed to ensuring that its programs and peer review processes result in the fair and impartial treatment of all participants, applicants to CIHR programs must complete an Equity and Diversity Questionnaire prior to submitting their next application (N.B. not required at the 'Registration' stage). The questionnaire consists of five questions and should take about 5 minutes to complete online. Applicants only need to complete the questionnaire once (their responses will be saved once submitted).
(N.B. Check with your department/faculty for additional deadlines)
- Submission of Registration (ResearchNet): July 9 to August 15, 2018 (once the Registration is submitted, applicants will be able to complete the full application)
- Submission of a ROLA proposal and a Stage 1 Draft Application (1 PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org: September 12, 2018 by/before 2 p.m.
- Stage 1 Application deadline (ResearchNet): September 19, 2018 by/before 2 p.m.
- Stage 2 Application deadline (ResearchNet): February 6, 2019 by/before 2 p.m. (successful Stage 1 applicants only)
- Anticipated Notice of Decision - Stage 1: December 18, 2018
- Anticipated Notice of Decision - Final Assessment Stage: July 16, 2019
Foundation Grant: Registration Process
- Registration Instructions
- Foundation Registration CV - Quick Reference Guide (CV is required for all Program Leaders)
**The names of all Program Leaders must remain unchanged between Registration and Application.
Foundation Grant: Stage 1 Application Process
Foundation Grant: Stage 2 Application Process
- Stage 2 Application instructions (successful Stage 1 applicants)
- Foundation CV - Quick Reference Guide
- Budget Baseline Calculation Instructions
- Webinars and Learning
Note: When you submit your Registration in ResearchNet, it will be sent directly to CIHR. When you submit your Application in ResearchNet, it will be routed through Research Development & Services for review and final submission to CIHR.