Sloan Research Fellowships 2022
Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation believes that a carefully reasoned and systematic understanding of the forces of nature and society, when applied inventively and wisely, can lead to a better world for all.
The Sloan Research Fellowships seek to stimulate fundamental research by early-career scientists and scholars of outstanding promise. These two-year fellowships are awarded yearly to 126 researchers in recognition of distinguished performance and a unique potential to make substantial contributions to their field.
The size of the award is $75,000 for a two-year period.
Eligible candidates must:
- Hold a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in chemistry, computer science, Earth system science, economics, mathematics, molecular biology, neuroscience, physics, or a related field;
- Be members of the faculty of a college, university, or other degree-granting institution in the U.S. or Canada;
- Be tenure-track, though untenured, as of September 15, 2021; and
- Have a faculty position that carries a regular teaching obligation.
Successful candidates for a Sloan Fellowship generally have a strong record of significant independent research accomplishments that demonstrate creativity and the potential to become future scientific leaders. They are normally several years past the completion of their Ph.D. in order to accumulate a competitive record of independent, significant research.
A completed nomination will consist of the following:
- A letter from a department head or other senior researcher officially nominating the candidate and describing his or her qualifications, initiative, and research;
- The candidate's curriculum vitae (including a list of the candidate's scientific publications);
- Two representative articles by the candidate;
- A brief (one-page) statement by the candidate describing his or her significant scientific work and immediate research plans; and
- Three letters from other researchers (preferably not all from the same institution) written in support of the candidate’s nomination.
The final submission deadline for the 2021 fellowships is September 15, 2021.
Research Development Consultant, Awards & Distinctions
Telephone: 519-661-2111 (ext. 87970)