The Canada Gairdner Wightman Award - 2019
The Canada Gairdner Wightman Award is given annually to a Canadian who has demonstrated outstanding leadership in medicine and medical science in Canada. It is awarded for (1) leadership in a specific field of biomedical sciences in Canada (basic, clinical, population health) and/or original, sustained contributions to that field internationally; and (2) for institutional, academic, and scientific leadership leading to biomedical research establishment/development in Canada and internationally. The award is worth $100,000.
Recipients are often in the middle of productive careers, highly published, and:
- Fellows of the Royal Society of Canada
- Companions/Officers/Members of the Order of Canada
- Fellows of the Royal College of Physicians
- Members of Provincial Orders
Nomination can be made by anyone who knows the nominee and his/her work well enough to write a competitive nomination letter.
A complete nomination package will consist of:
- brief citation: one-two sentence summary of the nominee's work introduction/summary of leadership contribution to medicine in Canada (150 words)
- a brief biography of up to 300 words
an overview of the Nominee's contributions to national/international leadership in medicine and medical science in Canada
an analysis of the nominee’s position relative to others in their field of research
- list of top five publications - please provide the citations for the nominee’s most significant/representative publications
- full CV, bibliography, and contact sheet listing full position, titles, letters, business contact
- at least two letters of support from international scientists familiar with the work
Please submit nominations through the Gairdner Nominations Portal at www.gairdner.org
The final nomination deadline is October 1, 2018
Interested parties are encouraged to consult with Julaine Hall (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Research Development & Services regarding this award and the nomination process.