Canada Gairdner Wightman Award 2022
The Canada Gairdner Awards
The Canada Gairdner Awards celebrate the world’s best biomedical and global health researchers through seven annual awards.
The Canada Gairdner Wightman Award is given annually to a Canadian who has demonstrated outstanding leadership in medicine and medical science in Canada. It is awarded for:
- Leadership in a specific field of biomedical sciences in Canada (basic, clinical, population health) and/or original, sustained contributions to that field internationally; and
- For institutional, academic, and scientific leadership leading to biomedical research establishment/development in Canada and internationally.
The award is worth $100,000.
Recipients are often in the middle of productive careers, highly published, and:
- Fellows of the Royal Society of Canada
- Companions/Officers/Members of the Order of Canada
- Fellows of the Royal College of Physicians
- Members of Provincial Orders
Nomination can be made by anyone who knows the nominee and his/her work well enough to write a competitive nomination letter.
A complete nomination package will consist of:
- Brief citation: one-two sentence summary of the nominee's work introduction/summary of leadership contribution to medicine in Canada (200 words);
- Summary of Research Contributions: Please provide a survey of the nominee's contributions to medical science (1000 words);
- Analysis of Nominee’s Leadership Nationally and Internationally: Please provide an analysis of the nominee’s leadership roles and impact;
- Brief biography of up to 300 words;
- Top 5 Publications by the Nominee: Please provide the citations for the nominee’s most significant/representative publications;
- CV with full publication list;
- Letter of Nomination
- At least two letters of support (max. eight) from international scientists familiar with the work; and
- Other documents that would add value to the file may also be submitted.
Please submit nominations through the Gairdner Nominations Portal.
The final nomination deadline for the 2022 awards was October 1, 2021.
Research Development Consultant, Awards & Distinctions
Telephone: 519-661-2111 (ext. 87970)