Compliance Monitoring for Certifications on Research Award Funds
Requirements for Use of Animals, Biohazards, Humans in Research
Why is Research Services Involved with Certification Monitoring?
Research Services is required by funding Sponsors to monitor that compliance requirements are met on all funded research.
As a condition of obtaining and maintaining access to research funds, the Tri-Agencies (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) and other funding Sponsors, mandate that Western monitor compliance for funds supporting the use of animals, biohazards, humans in research
- ONLY the funded researcher (grantee) can confirm which research funds are supporting the use of animals, biohazards and/or humans. The grantee MUST provide the approved protocol numbers, or status detail to Research Services.
- The grantee holding the research funds must hold, or be listed on, any approved certification Protocol or Permit linked to specific research award funds. If the approved certification Protocol or Permit is not held in the grantee’s name, please contact the appropriate Certification Office for appropriate direction.
- Approval Protocol and/or Permit numbers are maintained in the ROLA Proposal and Award records, as provided by the grantee, and are verified by Research Services with the certification offices.
- Research Services works closely with the Certification Offices. Timely communication between the grantee - and any of these offices - is critical to maintain compliance and ensure initial and continued access to research award funds.
- Refer to Research Western's Policy for activation and continued access to research funding.
Process to ensure continued access to research award funds
STEP 1 for Grantee:
Assess research project certification requirements
STEP 2 for Grantee:
|If Research Award funds support the use of BIOHAZARDS
(NOTE: To maintain approval, contact BioSafety Office
6 months before expiry of current permit at firstname.lastname@example.org)
|If Research Award funds support the use of HUMANS
(NOTE: To maintain approval, contact Research Ethics
2 months before expiry of current protocol at email@example.com)
|If only AT A FUTURE DATE Research Award supports the use of animals, biohazards and/or humans||
|If Research Award funds NO LONGER support the use of animals, biohazards and/or humans||
|If NEW or EMERGING Certifications - Research Award funds support the use of animals, biohazards and/or humans (only determined after the start date of the award)||
- Compliance Monitoring: Approved Protocols and Permits are maintained in ROLA system on research awards. Reminder notices are sent in advance of expiry dates by the certification offices for each Protocol or Permit. Reminder notices sent by Research Services are to clarify which Protocols and Permits with upcoming expiry dates are still being supported by specific research award funds.
- Certifications: Approvals for use of animals, biohazards or humans in research.
- Protocol or Permit: Approval document issued by appropriate Certification Office.
- Research Award Funds: Monies received from research funding sponsor.
- Research Funding Award: ROLA Proposal or Award #, sponsor reference number or Western speedcode.
For more information, or questions relating to this process, please contact Theresa Russelo, Director, Research Services, 519-661-2111 ext. 84502