Western University's Visiting University Scholar Program is funded by Western International for a maximum contribution of $3,000 with additional matching funds provided by the host Faculty. Faculties are invited to nominate international candidates for short- to medium-term visits throughout the year. Preference will be given to distinguished international faculty candidates whose scholarship and distinction will contribute to and enliven the Western academic and research community.
Visiting scholars invited to Western under the Visiting University Scholar Program, and who intend to remain at the University for a period of at least one week, will receive the designation of “Western Fellow” during the period of their stay. This designation serves to provide enhanced recognition to the visiting scholar for her/his curriculum vitae and would be publicized at Western.
Obligations of the Visiting University ScholarRecipients of this award are required to undertake one or more of the following:
- Teach at selected classes offered by the University as a guest lecturer
- Speak at specially arranged seminars for students/faculty/community members
- Research collaboration with faculty members
Role of the Host FacultyThe host Faculty shall be responsible for:
- Travel arrangements including all tickets for travel, transportation and booking of accommodations
- Arrangements for publicity plan in conjunction with Communication and Public Affairs
- Provision of office space or other work space as required
- Providing a brief report to Western International on the accomplishment or impact of the visit
- Ensuring that all immigration requirements have been met, as appropriate.
- Questions related to immigration can be referred to the Coordinator, Faculty Recruitment & Retention, 519-661-2111 ext. 82915
- Completion of Appointment/Letter of Invitation
- The category of appointment best suited to those coming to Western under the Visiting University Scholar Program is the “Visiting Non-Member.” The template for the appointment of Visiting Non-Members is available through the Faculty Relations (Admin Only) Intranet
- Questions related to appointments can be referred to the Senior Faculty Relations Consultant, ext. 83113
- The account will be set up under the Department Chair and the department will be responsible for proper reconciliation for the monies according to its departmental procedures.
Nominations will be adjudicated by a committee appointed by Western International. Host Faculty Deans should complete the nomination form and submit it, along with full Curriculum Vitae of nominee to Melissa Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deans should only nominate scholars who have an established international reputation in his/her field, and whose visit to Western would foster collaboration and exchanges between Western and his/ her home institution. Faculty members applying as the Host on behalf of the Dean must hold an eligible research appointment at Western.
Nominees should have:
- A Ph.D. degree and evidence of outstanding scholarship
- A full-time faculty position at a university outside of Canada with recognized international reputation in teaching and research.
4. FREQUENCY OF APPLICATION
This is an open competition; nominations will be accepted throughout the year. A nominated international scholar may have his/her visit supported only once during the tenure of this program. Applications must be sumbitted prior to the arrival of the visiting scholar at Western.
5. PROJECT TIME PERIOD
Visiting University Scholar Awards are available for short- to medium-term visits, lasting from a few days up to 1 academic term in duration. Grants will be available for a period of up to one year from the starting date. Should the Visiting University Scholar award be cancelled, all remaining and recoverable monies will be returned to the common fund.
Funding of up to $3,000 will be available from Western International. The host Faculty must provide a minimum 1:1 match (cash, not in-kind).
At the time of award, a chair account will be set up and will be managed by the department. Expenses must be posted to the account within one year from the start date and any unused money must be returned to the general fund (extensions may be granted under certain circumstances). If, for any reason, the approved Visiting Scholar’s travel to Western is cancelled, Western International (email@example.com) must be notified and the funds returned to the general pool.
7. FINAL REPORTS
Within three months of the end of the visit, the Host must provide a brief report addressed to Western International on the accomplishment or impact of the visit and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All final reports must be submitted before new applications will be considered.
Download report template (Word document)
8.1 Budget Justification
An adequate budget justification is required in each application. To avoid arbitrary decisions on the appropriate level of funding, detailed explanations of costs and matching funds should be provided.
8.2 Travel Expenses
Round trip Economy Class air passage for the Visiting University Scholar from his/her home destination to London, Ontario, Canada is eligible. Other travel for research is not.
8.2.1 Air and train fare & car rental
Applicants are required to provide written quotes for air and train fares and car rental and are expected to use the most economical means of transportation and to take advantage of seat sales and travel discounts whenever possible.
Mileage costs must be calculated using established Western rates.
8.3 Accommodation and Meals
Under "accommodation and meals" in the budget, applicants should provide their best estimate of the cost of subsistence. Per Diem costs will not be allowed. Original receipts will be required when travel claims are processed.
Publicity, printing and postage charges associated with the host Faculty’s publicity plan for the promotion of the Visiting University Scholar’s visit are eligible. Whenever appropriate, numbers of units and unit costs should be explained. Quotes from suppliers should be provided for purchased services.
Detail any budget requirement that doesn’t fit the above categories and explain why the expense is imperative for the visit.
While Travel Visas for a Visiting University Scholar are not the responsibility of Western University, the associated costs may be eligible.
8.6 Ineligible Expenses
These are examples only. The approving committee will determine the relevance of items not listed.
- Funds are not available for spousal expenses
- Conference registration fees
- Cost of preparing a paper for presentation
- Applications to Learned Societies meetings
- Travel for other purposes
Contact Melissa Franco in the Office of the Vice-Provost (International)
Phone: 519-661-2111 ext. 86409