International LearningWestern International

Exchange and Study Abroad

Student in New Zealand

Exchange Versus Study Abroad

Students considering attending another university to earn credits towards their Western degree have two options: Exchange or Study Abroad. Though the two terms are often used interchangeably, they are different. 

In an Exchange program, partner universities exchange students with one another. Each university has a limited number of spaces, so Western students apply to go on exchange through Western. Successful applicants pay regular tuition to Western instead of having to pay international fees.  

To Study Abroad students can take part in one of International Learning's affiliated Study Abroad programs or apply directly to the university of their choice. Courses must be approved by obtaining a Letter of Permission from the Registrar's Office to transfer the credits towards their Western degree. Students must pay international tuition to their host institution. Students who choose to study abroad are not limited to certain universities as they are with exchange.


Find application guidelines, scholarship programs and eligibility details.

Study Abroad 

Find information about Study Abroad, how to apply and some Western-affiliated programs.

Faculty-Led Programs

A faculty-led experience involves a structured group learning activity under the supervision of a home-institution faculty member. Activities within faculty-led study abroad courses are centered on a portion of the learning taking place abroad, outside the classroom. Community engaged learning experiences include credit or non-credit activities abroad that emphasize learning about social issues, and which involve community partners or organizations. The study abroad portions of these experiences vary from shorter trips such as one or two weeks to a full term, often with learning and preparation in class prior to departure.


Western offers a wide range of summer opportunities - including study abroad, research, language courses, internships and more. Find out how you can live your dream summer abroad!

Special Scholarship Programs

These are Exchange programs that provide funding for successful applicants.

*Please note that some study areas at Western have their own exchange programs:

Ivey Business School students: visit the International@Ivey page.

Western Law students: visit Law's International Exchanges & Internships page.