International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Working On-Campus

Do I need a Work Permit to work on campus?

International students who hold a valid Study Permit may look for and accept employment on-campus provided they are in attendance and registered as full-time students at the post-secondary institution where the employment will take place. In this case, a Work Permit is NOT required.1 (

“'On-campus' is defined as employment facilities within the boundaries of the campus. The students are only allowed to work on the campus of the educational institution at which they are registered. If an institution has more than one campus, the student can work at different locations on those campuses provided they are within the same municipality. […]  The employer can be the institution, faculty, student organization, the students themselves (self-employment), private business, or private contractor providing services to the institution on the campus.”2

“There are some restrictions on the jobs you can take based on medical factors:

For more information about medical exam requirements, see Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s Applying for a Work Permit - Student Guide [IMM 5580].

Note for graduate students: According to the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, full-time graduate students at Western may not be employed on or off campus for more than an average of 10 hours per week in any term.3

Finding work on-campus

Finding a job on-campus may be difficult since jobs are limited and many students compete for these positions. It is important to know that on-campus there are two kinds of jobs: regular paying jobs and work-study jobs.

Regular paying jobs are open to all students on campus. International students may apply for these jobs as long as they are full-time students.

Work-Study jobs are open to students who have been approved for work-study. For international students, only students approved by the ISWOP program have access to the work-study database of jobs.

Tip: Many on-campus employers hire students between February and April for jobs that would begin in May and September. So start your job search early!

The Student Success Centre offers tips and advice on finding an on-campus job, including a list of departments that have hired students in the past.

Find more tips and advice on our "Job Searching in Canada" page.