International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Visiting Research Students

Every year, Western University welcomes visiting students from around the world to conduct research or take courses.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) generally considers research placements as internships, and thus “work”, whether the research placement is paid or unpaid. For that reason, Visiting Research Students need authorization to work in Canada. This can be facilitated by way of a work permit or visitor status.

For further information about becoming a Visiting Research Only (VRO) student, please visit Western International's Visiting Research Only (VRO) Student website.

If you are interested in visiting Western University for the purpose of taking courses as a visiting student, please visit

 **Exception for Medical and Health Care Students