International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Temporary Resident Visa - Apply from Outside of Canada

Who Needs a Temporary Resident Visa to Enter Canada?

View our information on who needs a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada.

Where to Apply

International students currently residing in Canada with a valid Study or Work Permit who wish to apply for a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) must apply to the Case Processing Centre – Ottawa.1

If you are currently outside of Canada, you must apply at the Canadian Visa Office or the Canadian Visa Application Centre (VAC) serving your country or region of residence, your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted.

"If you are applying for a study or work permit [outside of Canada] and require a temporary resident visa, it is not necessary to make a separate application or pay a separate fee [for a TRV]; an officer will issue it at the same time as the documentation necessary for your entry to Canada as a student."2

How to Apply

Visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada's information on applying for a Temporary Resident Visa for detailed instructions, including application forms, list of documents required, fee payment instructions, etc.

  1. Determine your eligibility

  2. Read the Applying for a Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Instruction Guide (5256) before you begin your application.

  3. Check CIC's application processing times. It can take weeks or months to process an application. Apply early!

  4. Decide how you will apply. Check the website of the local Canadian Visa Office or Visa Application Centre (VAC) and determine what methods of application are accepted (e.g., online and/or paper applications).  Their websites will also list important information, such as:
    • checklist of additional documents you will need to submit with your application
    • how to pay the processing and biometric fees
    • instructions on how and where to mail your documents and how they will be returned to you
    • any additional instructions and requirements
  5. Prepare all of your forms and documents. Review the General Document Checklist [IMM 5484] from the application kit and the Document Checklist from the specific office where you will be submitting your application to find out which documents are required.

    Note: Each Canadian Visa Office may have its own document requirements.

    Be sure to provide all of the required documents to avoid any delays in your application.

    Tip: If you are currently a student at Western, it is recommended that you include a current letter from Western University stating that you are a registered student and an original transcript.

  6. Find out if you need to give your biometrics (photograph and finger print).

  7. Pay your application fee, review and submit your application.

    Follow the instructions from the Canadian Visa Office or VAC where you will be submitting your application for specific instruction on how to pay your fees and submit your application. Each office will have their own instructions.

    Make sure that your application is complete and signed before submitting it, otherwise CIC will return your incomplete application.

    Before submitting your application, it is strongly recommended to make a copy of your application, along with the documentation that you will be submitting, to keep for your records.

Useful Information