International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Temporary Resident Visa (Visitor Visa)

“A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker).

You must obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) before your departure. You cannot obtain one upon arrival in Canada."1

Who Needs a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to Enter Canada?

"Persons who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may require a visa to enter Canada. The requirement for a visa also applies to temporary residents who are transiting in Canada."2

View CIC's list of countries and territories whose citizens require a visa in order to enter Canada. If you do not need a visitor visa, you will still need to meet some specific requirements to enter Canada.

Usually, your Temporary Resident Visa is issued with the same expiry date as your Study Permit and/or Work Permit.

Do I Need a TRV to Stay in Canada?

If you need a TRV to enter Canada, it is recommended that you maintain a valid TRV throughout your stay in Canada in case of sudden trips abroad. A valid TRV is necessary if you leave and want to re-enter Canada. 3

Your Study Permit/Work Permit is your main immigration document and must be valid during your stay in Canada.

When to Apply

Students are recommended to apply for a new TRV well in advance of their planned trip.  CIC advises that applicants should “apply at least 2 months in advance of [their] planned departure from Canada in order to avoid disappointment.”4

“If you are in Canada and need to extend your Study Permit and renew your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), submit a separate application for the new TRV to the Case Processing Centre in Ottawa (CPP-O) only after CIC has approved the extension of your Study Permit.”5

Please see Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website for current processing times.

Where to Apply

If you are currently living in Canada and have a valid study or work permit, you must apply to the Case Processing Centre – Ottawa for a TRV.6

If you are currently in your home country, or if you are currently in another country (not Canada or your home Country): "you must apply for and obtain a TRV abroad by applying to a Canadian visa office.”7

“Individuals who are not presently in their own country may apply through the Canadian mission responsible for the country they are visiting, as long as they have been legally admitted to that country.”8

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

The eTA is a new Citizenship and Immigration Canada entry requirement. Starting on March 15, 2016 citizens of all visa-exempt countries (excluding the United States) will require an eTA before boarding a plane to Canada. Application for an eTA is now available online.

Click here for more details.