International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Does your program at Western last for 6 months or less?

“In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada.

Note: “Even if you do not need a study permit, it is a good idea to apply for a permit before you come to Canada. If you decide that you want to continue your studies in another program after you complete your short-term course or program, you must apply through a Canadian visa office outside Canada for a study permit if you do not already have one.”2 However, "[a]s of June 1, 2014, certain foreign nationals who are in Canada on a Visitor Visa may apply for a study permit from within Canada to attend a designated institution. These include [...]

Exchange or visiting students; or

Short-term students who have completed a course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated institution."3

Did you know that only a full-time student with a valid study permit can work on campus?4