English Conversation Program
The English Conversation Program (ECP) is available in the Fall, Winter, and Summer terms, the main objective of the English Conversation Program is to enhance spoken English skills and to increase confidence in using conversational English.
*To continue to support the program, we will be hosting sessions in an online format. Groups will meet regularly on a weekly basis, however you will meet through Zoom. Details about your weekly meetings will be provided to you from your Facilitator in late May. We look forward to connecting with you in an exciting and engaging new way!
This program is offered to all Western students and members of Western's community for FREE!
English Conversation sessions last 2 hours, once per week, for 8 weeks each term. Participants are matched in groups of 4 - 10 people with 1 Facilitator.
English Conversation sessions are facilitated by trained student volunteers, called Facilitators, in an informal and friendly atmosphere. Facilitators may prepare conversation topics, activities, or games based on the interests of each participant.
Who Can Join?
Members of Western's community whose first language is not English can join (for example, registered international students, spouses, post-doctoral fellows, visiting scholars/researchers, etc.). Priority will be given to students.
What Can I Expect?
- Practice conversational English outside the formal classroom or work setting
- Improve your English communication skills (speaking & listening)
- Increase your confidence & comfort level when using English
- Increase your knowledge of Canadian culture, customs, idiomatic expressions, etc.
- Decrease your anxiety of speaking English in a group
- Meet people from different areas of the university community
- Enhance your intercultural understanding and social network
- Canadian Culture & History
- Idioms & Canadian Expressions
- Social Issues & Politics
- Popular Culture, Entertainment & Media
- Cultural Comparisons
- English Grammar, Pronunciation & Vocabulary Expansion
- Practice Presentations
- Telephone Skills
- Ordering at Restaurants & Cafes
- Registration for the Fall 2020 term will start September 6th and end on September 19th, 2020.
- Confirmation of registration will be sent to participants at the end of September.
- Groups will begin in the first week of October and continue until the first week of December.
How to Register
The registration period for Fall will take place in early September, in early January for the Winter term, and in early May for the Summer term.
If you have any questions, you are welcome to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students are expected to attend their group each week. If you need to miss a week, inform your Conversation Leaders as soon as possible. If you are no longer able to participate in the program please let email@example.com know right away so that we can assign a person from the waiting list to take your place.
Western is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. Please contact us in advance if you have any particular accommodation requirements: IESC Staff, 519-661-2111, Ext. 89309, firstname.lastname@example.org .