English Conversation Program
The English Conversation Program (ECP) is available in the Fall, Winter, and Summer terms, the main objective of the English Conversation Program is to enhance spoken English skills and to increase confidence in using conversational English.
*Thank you for your interest in the English Conversation Program. For the time being, we will continue to move forward with the registration of the Summer and Fall term. We cannot guarantee the future of the program, nor can we foresee into coming months. please check Western's COVID-19 website regularly for updates.
We suggest that you continue to monitor Western news at: www.uwo.ca/coronavirus.
We also encourage you to visit the IESC FAQ's page at https://iesc.uwo.ca/COVID-19-FAQs.html
English Conversation sessions last 2 hours, once per week, for 8 weeks each term. Participants are matched in groups of 4 - 10 people with 1 Facilitator.
English Conversation sessions are facilitated by trained student volunteers, called Facilitators, in an informal and friendly atmosphere. Facilitators may prepare conversation topics, activities, or games based on the interests of each participant.
Who Can Join?
Members of Western's community whose first language is not English can join (for example, registered international students, spouses, post-doctoral fellows, visiting scholars/researchers, etc.). Priority will be given to students.
What Can I Expect?
The English Conversation Program provides you with the opportunity to:
- Practice conversational English outside the formal classroom or work setting
- Improve your English communication skills (speaking & listening)
- Increase your confidence & comfort level when using English
- Increase your knowledge of Canadian culture, customs, idiomatic expressions, etc.
- Decrease your anxiety of speaking English in a group
- Meet people from different areas of the university community
- Enhance your intercultural understanding and social network
Some popular conversation topics & activities covered in sessions include:
- Canadian Culture & History
- Idioms & Canadian Expressions
- Social Issues & Politics
- Popular Culture, Entertainment & Media
- Cultural Comparisons
- English Grammar, Pronunciation & Vocabulary Expansion
- Practice Presentations
- Telephone Skills
- Ordering at Restaurants & Cafes
- Registration for the Summer 2020 term will take place early May.
- Confirmation of registration will be sent to participants at the end of May.
- Groups will begin in the final week of June and continue until the last week of July.
How to Register
The registration period for Fall will take place in early September, in early January for the Winter term, and in early May for the Summer term.
New participants are required to attend a welcome meeting with an ECP staff or volunteer in order to complete their registration. Drop-in welcome meetings take place from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, in the International and Exchange Student Centre (2nd floor, IGAB) during the registration period.
*Registration for the Winter 2020 term has closed. Check back in early May to register for the Summer 2020 term.
If you have any questions, you are welcome to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students are expected to attend their group each week. If you need to miss a week, inform your Conversation Leaders as soon as possible. If you are no longer able to participate in the program please let email@example.com know right away so that we can assign a person from the waiting list to take your place.
Western is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. Please contact us in advance if you have any particular accommodation requirements: IESC Staff, 519-661-2111, Ext. 89309, firstname.lastname@example.org .