English Conversation Program & Summer Conversation Groups
Fall & Winter
Available in the Fall and Winter terms, the main objective of the English Conversation Program is to enhance spoken English Skills and to increase confidence in using conversational English.
English Conversation sessions last 2 hours, once per week, for 8 weeks each term. Circles are held at various locations on campus. Participants are matched in circles of 4 - 9 people based on the session time they register for.
English Conversation circles are facilitated by trained volunteers in an informal and friendly atmosphere. Conversation Leaders may prepare conversation topics, activities, or games based on the interests of each participant.
Members of Western's community whose first language is not English can join (for example, registered international students, spouses, post-doctoral fellows, visiting scholars/researchers, etc.). Priority will be given to students.
The English Conversation Program provides you with the opportunity to:
- Practice conversational English outside the formal classroom or work setting
- Improve your English communication skills (speaking & listening)
- Increase your confidence & comfort level when using English
- Increase your knowledge of Canadian culture, customs, idiomatic expressions, etc.
- Decrease your anxiety of speaking English in a group
- Meet people from different areas of the university community
- Enhance your intercultural understanding and social network
Students are expected to attend their group each week. If you need to miss a week, inform your Conversation Leaders as soon as possible. If you are no longer able to participate in the program please let firstname.lastname@example.org know right away so that we can assign a person from the waiting list to take your place.
- Registration will take place September 2 - 13
- Confirmation of registration will be sent to participants at the end of September.
- Groups will begin in the final week of September and continue until the last week of November.
Visit this page to register online. The registration period for Fall will take place in early September and in early January for the Winter term.
New participants are required to attend a welcome meeting with an ECP staff or volunteer in order to complete their registration. Drop-in welcome meetings take place from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, during the registration period.
Regsitration for the Fall 2019 term is now closed, Fall sessions have already started. We hope to see you in the Winter Term. Registration will open in January.If you have any questions, you are welcome to email email@example.com.
FREE - there is no cost to register for the program.
Western is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. Please contact us in advance if you have any particular accommodation requirements: IESC Staff, 519-661-2111, Ext. 89309, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Summer Conversation Groups will give you the opportunity to improve your English communication skills, meet new people, gain confidence when speaking in a group and learn more about Canadian culture and life at Western.
- Students will be matched into a group facilitated by 1 or 2 Conversation Leaders who are specially trained student volunteers
- The Conversation Groups meet once per week for 2 hours
- During meeting times, Leaders will offer a variety of discussion topics and activities for participants
- Group members are encouraged to ask questions and give suggestions about the content of each group to help Leaders plan for future sessions
- The Conversation Group meeting room will have separate tables to allow for smaller group conversations (6 - 10 people or less per table)
- Canadian Culture & History
- Idioms & Canadian Expressions
- Social Issues & Politics
- Popular Culture, Entertainment & Media
- Cultural Comparisons
- English Grammar, Pronunciation & Vocabulary Expansion
- Practice Presentations
- Telephone Skills
- Ordering at Restaurants & Cafes
Do you have a topic you would like to discuss? Suggestions are welcome!
For the Summer Conversation Group program, priority is given to international and exchange students registered at Western. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. If there are additional spaces available, other members of Western’s international community (who have submitted a registration form online) may be able to participate. If spaces are not available, a waiting list will be created.
Many festivals and outdoor activities take place during the summer months in London. Depending on the day and time of your Conversation Group, your Leaders may have the opportunity to arrange an off-campus meeting.
Students are expected to attend their sessions each week. If you need to miss a week, please inform your Conversation Leaders as soon as possible. If you are no longer able to participate in the program, please contact email@example.com and let the coordinator know right away. It is important to do so, because we can then assign a person from the waiting list to take your place.
- Registration will take place from May 6 to May 17.
- Confirmation of registration will be sent to new participants by the end of May.
- Conversation Groups will begin the final week of May and continue until the last week in July.
Regsitration for the Fall 2019 term is now closed. We hope to see you in the Winter Term. Registration will open in January.
If you have any questions, you are welcome to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participants who have not previously participated in the English Conversation Program are required to attend a 5 - 10 minute welcome meeting with an ECP (English Conversation Program) staff or volunteer assistant in order to complete their registration. Drop-in welcome meetings take place in the International and Exchange Student Centre (2nd floor, IGAB).
If the registration period has ended, please register for the waiting list.
Western is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. Please contact us in advance if you have any particular accommodation requirements.