International Arrival 2020-2021
Welcome. This website is for new or returning students arriving from outside of Canada to study at Western University.
All Western University, Brescia, Huron and King's University College students arriving from outside of Canada (including international students and Canadian citizens) are required to complete a 14-day quarantine and must register their quarantine plan with Western prior to arrival in Canada.
In addition, the Canadian government is now requiring all travellers by air to reserve a three-night stay in a government-authorized hotel, as part of their 14-day quarantine. If you are planning travel, please check to see if you are eligible to apply for reimbursement for hotel costs.
Please note that travel requirements continue to change as announcements are made by the Canadian government. We understand that these changes may be of cause for concern to students planning to come to Western in the coming days and weeks. We will continue to provide updates as we have them.
Please also note that if your travel plans change (delays, change of dates, cancellations, etc.), it is important to keep everyone updated.
- Update your Quarantine Plan with Western
- Update your Information on ArriveCan
- Contact the hotel(s) where you will be completing your quarantine with your new arrival date
- Contact RobertQ with your new arrival date (if applicable)
- Update your academic program if they are expecting your arrival
Steps for students travelling to Canada
- Ensure that you are eligible to travel to Canada.
- Review the government checklist for Flying to Canada OR Driving to Canada.
- Carefully review the requirements for quarantine set forth under the Quarantine Act.
- Review “Are your accommodations acceptable?”
- Book your government-approved quarantine AND register for your airport test if travelling by air.
- Book your quarantine accommodations (for after 3-day stay in government-approved hotel).
- Book transportation from hotel to self-arranged quarantine location.
- Register your Quarantine Plan.
- Ensure you have all the necessary documents and items required to travel to Canada.
- Download the ArriveCAN app and enter your travel and contact information, quarantine plan and COVID-19 symptom assessment.
- Take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of your departure and present the negative test result to the airline prior to boarding your flight.
- Use ArriveCAN to confirm you have arrived at your quarantine location within 48 hours of your entry to Canada and to complete daily COVID-19 symptom self-assessments.
- Upon completion of quarantine, obtain a COVID-19 test.
- Apply for reimbursement for 3-day government-authorized hotel stay.
Note: As of November 17, Western's COVID-19 readiness plan is approved. Travel is possible for eligible international students, provided they meet specific requirements and develop a 14-day quarantine plan. Review Government of Canada travel exemptions and restrictions.
We strongly encourage all students, and particularly newly arriving students, to book Western-arranged quarantine accommodations. The cost is $100 per day including meal service.* See details on our FAQ page.
If students choose to stay in their own housing or self-arranged quarantine accommodations, they must acknowledge and confirm accommodations meet Government of Canada requirements under the Quarantine Act.
If you need financial assistance for quarantine costs, apply for the International Student Bursary, open to undergraduate and graduate students for Fall 2020 and Winter 2021.APPLY FOR BURSARY
Middlesex-London Health Unit
*Conditions apply. Please see the Quarantine Accommodations FAQ page for details.