International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Health Care in Canada

The province of Ontario offers a health plan to Canadian citizens, landed immigrants, and temporary foreign workers called the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) which covers many medical and hospital expenses. International students are NOT eligible for OHIP.  Instead, Ontario universities provide a MANDATORY health care package for international students and their dependents living in Canada (spouses, partners and/or children) called the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). You must register for UHIP if you are;