Preparing to meet with a Sun Life Retirement Consultant or your advisor
Book a Sun Life Meeting
Sun Life Retirement Consultants are available for consultation in-person, by phone, or by videoconference. To book a meeting call 1-866-224-3906 and choose option 1 to speak with a Sun Life Consultant.
Before you finalize your decision to retire, it is best to have planned out your next steps so there are no surprises. Western offers the opportunity to attend a pre-retirement planning workshop up to10 years before you plan to retire and we also encourage you to consider a planning discussion with a Pension & Benefits Consultant from Western Human Resources.
See the Retirement Ready Checklist for a list of the actions you can take as your retirement approaches.
If you are meeting with a Sun Life Retirement Consultant the following list will help you prepare.
Printer friendly version of How to Prepare to Meet with a Sun Life Consultant or your Advisor
- Bring valid government issued photo ID, such as a driver’s licence or passport.
- Review your current pay statement to understand your current income picture. Login to My Human Resources. Under ‘Payroll & Compensation’ select ‘View Earnings Statements’.
- Bring a void cheque if you plan to complete application forms. This will confirm information about the account where you wish payments to be deposited.
- Bring your Social Insurance Number and your spouse’s (if applicable).
- Review your budget today and in retirement. What are the essentials and what is discretionary?
- Consider your income requirements:
- What expenses will increase, decrease, stop, start.
- Do you anticipate different income needs five years after you retire? 10 years? 20 years?
- Determine your benefits payable from CPP and OAS. Consider how the benefit changes based on your age when you stop working and/or start receiving benefits. You can view this information if you establish a My Service Canada Account, or you can request an estimate from Service Canada using this form - http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eforms/forms/sc-isp-1003(2014-03-03)e.pdf
- What sources of income does your spouse have? Gather information on their employer pension plan, CPP, OAS and other personal savings.
- Bring your last Annual Statement for your Western pension.
- Consider any unique family circumstances that will be relevant to your planning such as a disabled dependent child, inheritance, citizenship and residency.
It is up to you how much information you choose to share with your Sun Life Retirement Consultant or advisor, however the more open you can be, the better they will be able to assist you. Please note that these meetings are confidential. Western does not receive any identifying information from Sun Life.