Goals and Priorities
- Ensure that mental health is identified as a priority through the University’s strategic goals, mission, financial commitments, value statements, policies, and protocols.
- Ensure that every student receives mental health and wellness education through course curricula and/or co-curricular content during their studies at Western.
- Increase and enhance training and supports for student helpers, student leaders, and student mentors across campus.
- Provide tools and resources to support administrative leaders, faculty, staff, teaching assistants, and students in identifying signs and symptoms of student distress.
- Explore opportunities across campus for students to learn and practice stress reduction strategies such as mindfulness meditation as a method of stress management and building resiliency.
To increase capacity and accessibility to support and provide service to students with mental health conditions
- Reduce the fragmentation and ‘siloing’ of student mental health services through the integration of student mental health and wellness services into a Health and Wellness Centre.
- Support campus capacity for 24/7 mental health crisis response.
- Increase data collection and assessment of key indicators of student mental health and wellness – Electronic Health Record.
Guiding Principles1. Student health exists on a continuum and is affected by the physical, emotional, mental, social, environmental, and spiritual dimensions of health.
2. Mental health and wellness critical to all students':
- academic and personal success
- learning and productivity
- ability to reach their full potential
- ability to participate and engage meaningfully in school and life activities
4. Students must be involved in the consultation, design, and ongoing support of the services, programs, and policies that will ultimately affect them.
5. Through targeted, effective, and accessible programs, services, and supports students can better achieve their academic and personal goals and maintain their wellness throughout their university experience.
News and Updates
Western Mental Health and Wellness Strategic Plan
Western's Student Mental Health and Wellness Strategic Plan - FAQs
For any questions or concerns please email firstname.lastname@example.org