Intensive French - Accelerated Version
Syllabus - Click here to download
Prerequisite: Permission of the Department based on the Placement Test.
Antirequisites: The former French 1101, French 1002, Ontario Grade 11 French (Core, Extended or Immersion) or equivalent.
Unless you have either the requisites for this course or written special permission from your Dean to enroll in it, you may be removed from this course and it will be deleted from your record. This decision may not be appealed. You will receive no adjustment to your fees in the event that you are dropped from a course for failing to have the necessary prerequisites. – from Western’s Academic Handbook
French 1003 (Beginner) is an accelerated version of French 1002, using the same textbook and coursepack prepared by Paul Venesoen. This accelerated (0.5) course is designed for students having a limited knowledge of French who are too advanced for French 1002. This course works in conjunction with French 1011 (Intermediate) to prepare students for first-year university French, (French 1910 or 1900E), and possible DELF A1 or A2 certification*.
French 1003 uses an active learning approach, calling on you to use your critical thinking skills and participate actively in the process of discovering the French language. This will include listening, reading, writing and speaking in French. We will cover Chapters 1-10 of our textbook in French 1003. There is a weekly Language Laboratory session which supplements in-class instruction. French 1011 picks up where 1003 leaves off and covers the second half of the textbook.
By the end of the course, students will be expected to:
- be able to recognise and identify basic parts of speech.
- understand and use familiar everyday expressions and basic phrases in French aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
- introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has.
- interact in a simple way if the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
1. En bons termes package, Parmentier, Potvin, 10th edition, (Pearson)
The package contains the following 2 components:
(1) En bons termes Textbook
(2) myfrenchlab Access Card
2. French 1002 Coursepack, 2018/2019 - Available at UCC Bookstore.
3. Compréhension orale, Michèle Barfety et Patricia Beaujoin' Niveau 1, Compétences A1-A2, Éditions CLE International , avec CD audio - Available at UCC Bookstore.
4. Expression orale, Michèle Barfety et Patricia Beaujoin' Niveau 1, Compétences A1-A2, Éditions CLE International , avec CD audio - Available at UCC Bookstore.
Note: It is not recommended for students to purchase a used copy of En bons termes
8th or 9th editions. Some of the individual exercise questions/answers are different, and
you will not have access to the publisher’s online site (myfrenchlab) for the textbook.
Distribution of marks:
|3 Chapter Tests||30%|
|1 Oral Test||5%|
|Class Attendance and Participation||5%|