Frequently Asked Questions

What transfer credits will I get and how long will it take me to graduate?

The number of transfer credits you receive will depend on the Diploma program and college where you have received your Diploma.

Length to completion will be dependent on the diploma program completed, degree program desired and course availability. Lengths range from as little as 12 months (5.5 courses) to 24 months (16.0 courses) of full time study. Time to completion can be shortened by taking courses during intersession and/or summer session. Planning with an academic counsellor is recommended. Students that are not successful in any courses will likely take longer than the minimum time to completion. Please go to the “Eligibility and Admissions Requirements” page to view the transfer credits and degree module progression charts.

What are my degree and module options? What marks do I need to maintain?

Pathways students will be registered in the Faculty of Science for either a 3-year or 4-year Bachelor of Science degree (B.Sc.), depending on your choice. This does not mean your time to completion will be 3 or 4 years. This is simply the degree you are registered in. See above for length to completion.

Regardless of the number of transfer credits received students will be registered in year 2 upon entry into the University. Students can choose from four degree/module options: Honors Specialization, Specialization, 3-year Major and 4-year Major.  Honors Specialization and Specialization modules are only offered in the 4-year degree category.

Each module varies in length and study concentration in Environmental Science. Students that take the Honors Specialization module must complete a research thesis and maintain a cumulative average of 70% in module courses, with no mark in any modular course less than 60%. Students in the Specialization and Major modules must maintain a minimum cumulative average of 60%. A mark of at least 50% must be achieved in each of the courses used to fulfill graduation requirements for all modules. Once all module and graduation requirements have been completed you will receive a B. Sc. in Environmental Science. Please go to the “Eligibility and Admissions Requirements” table above to view the degree module progression charts (only available if program has been approved).

What average do I need?

A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (75%) with no grade less than "C" or 2.0 GPA (60%) on all courses taken toward the completion of the Diplomas above.

What courses will I take?

Students from all colleges/diplomas will be required to take 1.0 courses from a list of first year Math/Calculus/Statistics/Applied Math options regardless of module choice. Please go to the “Eligibility and Admissions Requirements” page to view the degree module progression charts (only available if program has been approved).

Common courses taken by Pathways students include Environmental Chemistry, Natural Science of Environmental Problems and Research Techniques in Environmental Science. You will also be required to take courses in the following topic areas: Statistics, Geography, Biology and Earth Science. Module and Option courses can come from science, engineering, social science, or arts and humanities areas of study. There are many course options that can be taken towards your degree. Please go to the “Eligibility and Admissions Requirements” page to view the degree module progression charts, which include the Environmental Science course list, for options (only available if program has been approved).

How do I apply?

To apply, complete an OUAC 105 application.

  • The application can be found on the OUAC website:
  • Choose either form 105D or 105F depending on the circumstances described on the website.
  • Be sure to select "Advanced Standing" on the application.

Where do I find more information on specific details about the Diploma to Degree Pathways Program in Environmental Science

Please review all the information above and on the linked pages carefully. You will likely find your answer there. Information regarding admission/acceptance, course timetables, registration should be directed to the Registrar's office. If you require further information about the Pathways program in Environmental Science beyond what is contained here please contact:

  • Dr. Christie Stewart
    Phone: (519) 661-2111 ex. 89034

Where do I find more information on other College to University Transfer Programs

For information on Ontario Articulation and Transfer programs visit the ONCAT website at

Where do I find more information on admission deadlines, course registration (once accepted), student finances, including tuition, course offerings, timetables:

Information regarding the above can be found here: