Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS)
2018-19 Competition InformationSince 1975, the Ontario government, in partnership with Ontario's publicly assisted universities, has encouraged excellence in graduate studies at the master's and doctoral levels through the awarding of Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS). OGS awards are merit-based scholarships available to students in all disciplines of graduate study. These scholarships each have a maximum value of $15,000, or $5,000 per term for either 2 or 3 consecutive terms.
All current graduate students and all applicants to our graduate program should apply for an Ontario Graduate Scholarship if they are eligible.*
Those who will be applying to our MA or PhD program, please note: If are not currently or have not recently been a Western student, you must first complete and submit your application to our MA or PhD program (see MA Application or PhD Application) before you may begin an OGS application. Western's receipt of your completed application and application fee triggers the creation of your unique Western Graduate Identity (user ID and password), which you will need in order to access to the OGS application at Western.
Please note that the deadline for submission of program applications for the Department of English at Western is January 15 and the deadline to start a new OGS application is January 24 at 4:00 pm (EST). This means that you should plan to complete and submit your program application well in advance of the deadline so as to give yourself and your referees plenty of time to submit the OGS application by its deadline. The final submission deadline for all OGS applications is January 31 at 4:00 pm (EST).
**NB: THE COMPLETED APPLICATION AND ALL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS, INCLUDING REFERENCES, MUST BE RECEIVED/UPLOADED BEFORE YOU MAY SUBMIT YOUR OGS APPLICATION. January 31 at 4:00 pm (EST) is the last date to hit the Submit button on your OGS application.
To be considered for an OGS at Western, an applicant must, among other things:
- be a current graduate student or active graduate applicant at Western,
- be registered full time in a graduate degree program at the start date of the award,
- have an overall average of at least 80% (A-) over the last two years of full-time study,
- have not exceeded the lifetime maximum of two (2) OGS awards held to support a master's degree, nor exceeded the lifetime maximum of four (4) OGS awards held to support a PhD degree, nor have exceeded the overall lifetime maximum of six (6) OGS awards held,
- have not exceeded the lifetime maximum of six (6) government-funded awards,
- may be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or international student on a study permit.
- Current PhD applicants must be in term 9 or less as of January 1st of the year of application. (i.e., there are no more "5th year OGS awards")
*For complete eligibility and application information and support, please see the following websites: