English 9002A ~ Advanced Research Methods (formerly Bibliography and Textual Studies)
Professor Donna Palmateer Pennee
Fall Half Course
NB: This course will be held in the Library Instruction Room, Map and Data Centre, basement level, Weldon Library.
- integrated co-instruction with Western Libraries instructional librarians and archivists in basic and advanced search methods and research services
- cultivation of an understanding of research as an iterative and exploratory but also disciplined and organized process
- selected readings in disciplinary methods and discussion
- selected readings in the current scene of humanities research in the corporatized university
- reflection on our own methods, assumptions, and positioning within English and cultural studies
- instruction in the development of SSHRC doctoral funding applications
- facilitation of the development of individual research projects (for example, for a single course during the same term of study, for the upcoming IRP, for a conference paper or article, or for early stages of the dissertation), with an assignment specific to this development
- development of a cohort or community of researcher-colleagues through shared weekly course activities and in-class discussion
View the course syllabus here: English 9002A.