Dr. Gerhard Pratt
Ph.D. Imperial College, University of London, 1989
Office: BGS 1045
Lab: BGS 0179
Phone: 519-661-2111 x.83513
Dr. Pratt has been actively researching new methods in seismic wave modelling and imaging. He and his students have developed a number of innovations in these areas that make possible large scale forward and inverse modelling of exploration seismic data through numerical simulation of the full wave equation. Together they have been able to use these methods in imaging structures in a wide range of applications, from small scale site investigations to wide angle crustal seismology.
- Pratt, R. G., Huang, L., Duric, N. and Littrup, P., 2007 Sound-speed and attenuation imaging of breast tissue using waveform tomography of transmission ultrasound data, in Medical Imaging 2007: Physics of Medical Imaging, Hsieh, J., Flynn, M.J., Eds., Proceedings of the SPIE, 6510, 65104S.
- Gao, F., Levander, A.R., Pratt, R.G., Zelt, C.A., and Fradelizio, G.L., 2007. Waveform tomography at a groundwater contamination site: Surface reflection data. Geophysics 72, G45-G55.
- Brenders, A.J. and Pratt, R.G., 2007b. Efficient waveform tomography for lithospheric imaging: implications for realistic, 2-D acquisition geometries and low frequency data. Geophys. J. Int., 168, 152-170.
- Brenders, A.J. and Pratt, R.G., 2007a. Full waveform tomography for lithospheric imaging: Results from a blind test in a realistic crustal model. Geophys. J. Int., 168, 133-151.
- Gao, F., Levander, A.R., Pratt, R.G., Zelt, C.A., and Fradelizio, G.L., 2006. Waveform tomography at a groundwater contamination site: VSP-Surface data set. Geophysics 71, H1-H11.
- Earth Sciences 1086F: Origin and Geology of the Solar System
- Earth Sciences 3320A/B: Exploration Geophysics II
- Earth Sciences 4451Z: Geophysical Field Techniques
- Geophysics 9505A: Geophysical Forward and Inverse Modelling Methods
- Geophysics 9701A: Waveform Tomography
- Hema Sharma, PhD Geophysics Candidate (Co-Supervisor)
- Brian Villamizar, PhD Geophysics Candidate