Dr. Robert Linnen
Professor & Robert Hodder Chair in Economic Geology
Ph.D. McGill University, 1992
Office: BGS 1000B
Labs: BGS 0072, 0162
Phone: 519-661-2111 x.89207
My research focuses on the behavior of metals in magmatic-hydrothermal systems. My approach is to combine field and experimental studies to identify the mechanisms that are important for concentrating metals and controlling mineralization, then quantify these processes to develop ore deposit models and exploration strategies. Current projects involve investigations of precious metal (Au and PGE) and rare metal (Li, Nb, Ta, REE, Sn, W) deposits.
- Perrouty, S., Linnen, R.L., Lesher, C.M., Olivo, G.R., Piercey, S.J., Gaillard, N., Clark, J.R. and Enkin, R.J., 2018, Expanding the size of multi-parameter metasomatic footprints in gold exploration: utilization of mafic dykes in the Canadian Malartic district, Québec, Canada. Mineralium. Deposita (in press).
- Cao, Y., Linnen, R.L., Good, D. and Samson, I.M., 2018, Applications of the combined portable XRF-benchtop SEM methodology to PGE exploration. Ore Geol. Rev. 101, 32-53.
- Brzozowski, M.B., Samson, I.M., Gagnon, J.E., Linnen, R.L, Good, D.J., Ames, D.E. and Flemming, R., 2018, Controls on vein-hosted mineral chemistry and its implications on their use as exploration tools in magmatic Ni-Cu-PGE deposits: an example from the Marathon Cu-Pd deposit, Coldwell Complex. Jour. Geochem. Expl. 190, 109-129.
- Fiege, A., Simon, A.C., Linsler, S.A., Bartels, A. and Linnen, R.L., 2018, Experimental constraints on Critical Metal Ore Deposits - The effect of phosphorous and boron on Ta and Nb ore formation. Ore Geol. Rev., 94, 383-395.
- Gaillard, N. Williams-Jones, A.E., Clark, J.R., Lypaczewski, P., Salvi, S., Perrouty, S., Piette-Lauzière, N., Guilmette, C. and Linnen, R.L., 2018, Mica composition as a vector to gold mineralization: Deciphering hydrothermal and metamorphic effects in the Malartic District, Québec. Ore Geol. Rev. 95, 789-820.
- Shahabi Far, M., Samson, I.M., Gagnon, J.E., Good, D.J., Linnen, R.L., Layne, G.D., Wing, B.A., 2018, Identifying externally-derived sulfur in conduit-type Cu-PGE deposits: the importance of multiple sulfur isotope studies. Geology, 235-238.
- Millonig, L.J., Linnen, R.L. and Groat, L.A., Vanadium micas and vanadium: Nomenclature, occurrences and significance for low-sulfidation epithermal precious metal deposits. Can. Mineral., Accepted pending revisions Aug. 30, 2017.
- O’Callaghan, J.W.O, Linnen, R.L., Lightfoot, P.C. and Osinski, G.R., 2017, Contrasting Mineralogical and geochemical characteristics of Sudbury breccia adjacent to footwall Cu-Ni-PGE sulfide in the Creighton and Coleman deposits. Canadian Mineralogist, 55, 909-943.
- Perrouty, S., Gaillard, N., Piette-Lauzière, N., Mir, R., Bardoux, M., Olivo, G.R., Linnen, R.L., Bérubé, C.L., Lypaczewski, P., Guilmette, C., Feltrin, L. and Morris, W.A., 2017, Structural setting for Canadian Malartic style of gold mineralization in the Pontiac Subprovince, south of the Cadillac - Larder Lake Deformation Zone, Québec, Canada, Ore Geol. Rev. 84, 185-201.
- Millonig L.J., Beinlich, A., Devine, F., Raudsepp, M. Linnen, R.L. and Groat, L.A., 2017, The Engineer Mine, British Columbia: An Example of Epithermal Au-Ag Mineralization with Mixed Alkaline and Subalkaline Characteristics. Ore Geol. Rev. 83, 235-257.
- Cao, Y., Linnen, R.L., Good, D., Samson, I.M. and Epstein, R., 2016, The application of portable XRF and benchtop SEM-EDS to Cu-Pd exploration in the Coldwell Alkaline Complex, Ontario, Canada. Geochemistry: Exploration, Environment, Analysis 16, 193-212.
- O’Callaghan, J.W., Osinski, G. R., Lightfoot, P.C., Linnen, R.L. and Wierich, R.L., 2016, Reconstructing the geochemical signature of Sudbury breccia, Ontario, Canada: Implications for its formation and trace metal content. Econ. Geol. 111, 1705-1729.
- McNeil, A.G., Linnen, R.L. and Flemming, R.L., 2015, A method for hydrothermal synthesis of columbite-(Mn), tantalite-(Mn), hafnon and zircon at 800-850°C and 200 MPa. Canadian Mineralogist 53, 1073-1081.
- Aseri, A.A., Linnen, R.L., Che, X.D., Thibault, Y. and Holtz, F., 2015, Effects of fluorine on the solubilities of Nb, Ta, Zr and Hf minerals in highly fluxed water-saturated haplogranitic melts. Ore Geol. Rev. 64, 736-746.
- Good D.J., Epstein R., McLean K., Linnen R.L., and Samson I., 2015, Evolution of the Main Zone at the Marathon Cu-PGE Sulfide Deposit, Midcontinent Rift, Canada: Spatial relationships in a magma conduit setting. Econ. Geol. 110, 983-108.
- Earth Sciences 2230A/B: Introduction to Geochemistry
- Earth Sciences 4432 / Geology 9506: Mineral Deposit Geochemistry
- Geology 9552A/B: Advanced Mineral Deposit Geochemistry
- Geology 9508: Analytical Geochemistry - Methods and Interpretation
- Povilas Grigutis, MSc Geology Candidate
- Abdullah Aseri, PhD Geology Candidate
- Cassandra Marion, PhD Geology Candidate (Co-Supervisor)
- Luke Howitt, Msc Geology Candidate
- Ellie Owens, MSc Geology Course-Based Candidate
- Cassandra Powell, MSc Geology Candidate
- David Benn, MSc Geology Candidate
Future StudentsDr. Linnen has opportunities for M.Sc. and Ph.D. students in three areas, two of which will involve collaborations with mineral exploration companies.
- Lithium pegmatites: Li pegmatites are currently a source for the batteries used in electric cars. Projects will involve geological mapping to establish the structural controls of pegmatite emplacement and evaluating lithogeochemistry and mineral chemistry as mineral exploration tools.
- Intrusion-related gold: Detailed studies of alteration and mineralization of Archean intrusion-related deposits. Studies may also apply stable isotopes, age dating and structural analysis to understanding this deposit type.
- Experimental Petrology: Experimental studies of the behavior of rare-metals and precious metals in magmatic-hydrothermal systems.