Dr. Robert Linnen
Professor & Robert Hodder Chair in Economic Geology
Ph.D. McGill University, 1992
Office: BGS 1000B
Labs: BGS 0072, 0162
Phone: 519-661-2111 x.89207
My research focuses on the behavior of metals in magmatic-hydrothermal systems. My approach is to combine field and experimental studies to identify the mechanisms that are important for concentrating metals and controlling mineralization, then quantify these processes to develop ore deposit models and exploration strategies. Current projects involve investigations of precious metal (Au and PGE) and rare metal (Li, Nb, Ta, REE, Sn, W) deposits.
Millonig, L.J., Linnen, R.L. and Groat, L.A., Vanadium micas and vanadium: Nomenclature, occurrences and significance for low-sulfidation epithermal precious metal deposits. Can. Mineral., Accepted pending revisions.
*O’Callaghan, J.W.O, Linnen, R.L., Lightfoot, P.C. and Osinski, G.R., 2017, Contrasting Mineralogical and geochemical characteristics of Sudbury breccia adjacent to footwall Cu-Ni-PGE sulfide in the Creighton and Coleman deposits. Canadian Mineralogist, 55, 909-943.
Perrouty, S., Gaillard, N., Piette-Lauzière, N., Mir, R., Bardoux, M., Olivo, G.R., Linnen, R.L., Bérubé, C.L., Lypaczewski, P., Guilmette, C., Feltrin, L. and Morris, W.A., 2017, Structural setting for Canadian Malartic style of gold mineralization in the Pontiac Subprovince, south of the Cadillac - Larder Lake Deformation Zone, Québec, Canada, Ore Geol. Rev. 84, 185-201.
Millonig L.J., Beinlich, A., Devine, F., Raudsepp, M. Linnen, R.L. and Groat, L.A., 2017, The Engineer Mine, British Columbia: An Example of Epithermal Au-Ag Mineralization with Mixed Alkaline and Subalkaline Characteristics. Ore Geol. Rev. 83, 235-257.
Cao, Y., Linnen, R.L., Good, D., Samson, I.M. and Epstein, R., 2016, The application of portable XRF and benchtop SEM-EDS to Cu-Pd exploration in the Coldwell Alkaline Complex, Ontario, Canada. Geochemistry: Exploration, Environment, Analysis 16, 193-212.
O’Callaghan, J.W., Osinski, G. R., Lightfoot, P.C., Linnen, R.L. and Wierich, R.L., 2016, Reconstructing the geochemical signature of Sudbury breccia, Ontario, Canada: Implications for its formation and trace metal content. Econ. Geol. 111, 1705-1729.
McNeil, A.G., Linnen, R.L. and Flemming, R.L., (in press) A method for hydrothermal synthesis of columbite-(Mn), tantalite-(Mn), hafnon and zircon at 800-850°C and 200 MPa. Canadian Mineralogist, 53, 1073-1081.
Aseri, A.A., Linnen, R.L., Che, X.D., Thibault, Y. and Holtz, F., 2015, Effects of fluorine on the solubilities of Nb, Ta, Zr and Hf minerals in highly fluxed water-saturated haplogranitic melts. Ore Geol. Rev. 64, 736-746.
Good D.J., Epstein R., McLean K., Linnen R.L., and Samson I., 2015, Evolution of the Main Zone at the Marathon Cu-PGE Sulfide Deposit, Midcontinent Rift, Canada: Spatial Relationships in a Magma Conduit Setting. Econ. Geol. 110, 983-108.
Linnen, R.L., Samson, I.M., Williams-Jones, A.E., and Chakmouradian, A.R., 2014, Geochemistry of the Rare-Earth Element, Nb, Ta, Hf, and Zr deposits. In H.D. Holland and K.K. Turekian ed., Treatise on Geochemistry 2nd ed. vol 13, 543-568. Oxford. Elsevier.
Linnen, R.L., Trueman, D.L. and Burt, R., 2014, Niobium and Tantalum, in Critical Metals Handbook, G. Gunn ed., John Wiley & Sons. 361-384.
Zhang, J., Linnen, R., Lin, S.F., Davis, D and Martin, R., 2014, Paleoproterozoic Hydrothermal Reactivation in a Neoarchean Orogenic Lode-gold Deposit of the Abitibi Greenstone Belt: U-Pb Monazite Geochronological Evidence from the Young-Davidson Mine, Ontario. Precambrian Research 249, 263-272.
Zhang, J., Lin, S., Linnen, R. and Martin, R., 2014, Structural Setting of the Young-Davidson Syenite-hosted Gold Deposit in the Western Cadillac-Larder Lake Deformation Zone, Abitibi Greenstone Belt, Superior Province, Ontario. Precambrian Research 248, 39-59.
Linnen, R.L., Samson, I.M., Williams-Jones, A.E., and Chakmouradian, A.R., 2014, Geochemistry of the Rare-earth Element, Nb, Ta, Hf, and Zr deposits. In H.D. Holland and K.K. Turekian ed., Treatise on Geochemistry 2nd ed. vol 13, 543-568. Oxford. Elsevier.
Botcharnikov, R.E., Holtz, F., Mungall, J., Beermann, O., Linnen, R., Garbe-Schönberg, D., 2013, Behaviour of gold in a magma at sulfide-sulfate transition: Revisited. Amer. Mineral. 98, 1459-1464.
Che, X.D., Linnen, R.L., Wang, R.C., Groat, L.A. and Brand, A.A., 2013, Distribution of trace and rare earth elements in the titanite from tungsten and molybdenum deposits in Yukon and British Columbia, Canada, Canadian Mineralogist 51, 415-438.
Che, X.D., Linnen, R.L., Wang, R.C., Aseri, A. and Thibault, Y., 2013, Tungsten solubility in evolved granitic melts: An evaluation of magmatic wolframite. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 106, 84-98.
Linnen, R.L., van Lichtervelde, M. and Černý, P., 2012, Granitic Pegmatites as Sources of Strategic Metals. Elements 8, 275-280.
Courses TaughtEarth Sciences 2230A/B - Introduction to Geochemistry
Earth Sciences 3313A/B - Igneous Petrology
Earth Sciences 3315A/B - Metamorphic Petrology
Earth Sciences 4432A/B - Mineral Deposit Geochemistry
Geology 9701A/B - Best Practices in Exploration Drilling
Geology 9701A/B - Mineral Systems and Ore Deposit Exploration Strategy
Geology 9552A/B - Advanced Mineral Deposit Geochemistry
Geology 9508 - Analytical Geochemistry
- Stephane Perrouty (Research Associate) Footprint of the Canadian Malartic gold deposit
- Cao, Yonghua, (Postdoc), Investigation of the W Horizon at the Marathon Cu-Pd deposit, NW Ontario
- Alysha McNeil (PhD) Solubility and stability of tantalum oxide minerals in pegmatite melts
- Abdullah Aseri (PhD) Origin of rare metal mineralization associated with anorogenic granites in Saudi Arabia
- Cassandra Marion, (PhD, with G. Osinski) Hydrothermal systems at impact craters
- Luke Howitt (MSc) Origin of Au mineralization at the Gap Zone, Timmins West Mine Complex, Timmins, Ontario.
- Annika van Kessel, (MSc with A. Bouvier) Development of Lu-Hf age dating of scheelite: Applications to Archean gold deposits
- Justin Rumney (MSc with S. Shieh) Evaluation of graphite structure from Raman spectroscopy as an exploration tool
- Hannah Cavallin (course-based MSc with N. Banerjee) Geochemistry of gold mineralization in the Committee Bay camp.
- Sarah CoDyre (MSc with G. Osinski) The investigation of hydrothermal epidote veining proximal to the Foy Offset Dyke, Sudbury Impact Structure, Canada.
- Povilas Grigutis (MSc) Controls of tenor at the Thompson Ni mine, Manitoba
- Cassandra Powell (MSc) Controls of gold mineralization at the Orenada deposit, Val d’Or, Quebec
- Jason Wozniak (BSc) Characterization of Au mineralization and alteration at the Gap Offset, Timmins West mine.
- Maximillian Sandering Taylor, (BSc) Distribution of Au at the Kerr Addison deposit
Students Recently Graduated
- Cao, Y., 2017, Cu-Pd Mineralization and exploration geochemistry of the northeastern portion of the Coldwell Complex, Ontario, PhD University of Western Ontario, 498 pp.
- Sara, S., 2017, (with P. McCausland) National Instrument 43-101 Compliance: Case studies in Rubicon Minerals Corporation and Barkerville Gold Mines Ltd. course-based MSc, University of Western Ontario.
- Sundaralingam, N., 2017, Vein Pyrite Composition as a Potential Vector for Defining the Canadian Malartic Footprint, BSc University of Western Ontario, 297 p.
- DeGasperis, M., 2017, Gold mineralization in the Central zone of the Dome stock at the Hasaga Project, Red Lake, Ontario, BSc University of Western Ontario, 70 p.
- Feick, K., 2016, Alteration and mineralization at the Upper Beaver deposit, Kirkland Lake region, MSc University of Western Ontario, 402 pp.
- Meghji, I., 2016, Magmatic and hydrothermal controls of Cu-PGE mineralization at the Geordie Lake deposit, Coldwell Complex, Ontario, MSc University of Western Ontario, 336 pp.
- Kouhi, D., 2016, (with K. Tiampo) The application of geophysical inversion techniques to the Nechalacho rare earth deposit, NT, MSc University of Western Ontario, 231 pp.
- O’Callaghan, J., 2016, (with G. Osinski) Origin of Cu-Ni-PGE mineralization in the Sudbury breccia. MSc University of Western Ontario, 140 pp.
- Adam, M., 2016, Gold Mineralisation at the FAT Deposit, Courageous Lake Greenstone Belt, Northwest Territories, Canada, MSc University of Western Ontario, 186 pp.
- Cookson, N., 2016, Comparison of Cu-Au mineralization above and below the main thrust fault at the Mitchell (KSM) deposit, British Columbia, BSc University of Western Ontario, 74 pp.
- Campbell, R., 2015, Controls on syenite-hosted gold mineralization in the Western Timmins Camp, MSc University of Western Ontario,144 pp.
- Leduchowski, D., 2015, The evaluation of tourmaline as an indicator mineral for lode gold deposits, BSc University of Western Ontario, 141 p.
- Bynoe, L., 2014, Shear zone influence on the emplacement of a giant pegmatite: The Whabouchi lithium pegmatite, Quebec Canada, MSc University of Western Ontario, 121 pp.
- Israelson, S., 2014, (with G. Osinski) Enigmatic mineralization; a case study of the Foy offset dike, Sudbury impact structure, Canada. BSc University of Western Ontario, 61 p.
- Leo Millonig, 2013, (with L. Groat, University of British Columbia) Mineralogical and geochemical investigation of the Epithermal Engineer Mine Gold Deposit, British Columbia.Arce, M., 2013, Petrological Characterization of the Jasimampa Carbonatite, Santiago del Estero, central Argentina, MSc.App., University of Western Ontario, 100 pp.
- Naderi, N., 2013, Stable Isotopes and XRD Investigation of Gold Mineralization at the Syenite-Hosted Young-Davidson Deposit, Matachewan, Ontario, MSc., University of Western Ontario, 159 pp.
- Ruthart, R., 2013, Characterization of High-PGE Low-Sulphur Mineralization at the Marathon PGE-Cu Deposit, Ontario, MSc, University of Waterloo, 259 pp.
- Woulfe, J., 2013, Lithogeochemical characterization of the host rock alteration surrounding the Whabouchi pegmatite, James Bay region, Quebec. BSc University of Western Ontario, 54 p.
- Che, X., 2012, Mineralogical and experimental constraints on the crystallization behavior of tungsten in granitic system. PhD, Nanjing University, China, 155 p.
- Aseri, A., 2012, Effects of fluorine on the solubilities of Nb, Ta, Zr and Hf minerals in highly fluxed water-saturated haplogranitic melts, 64 p. MSc, University of Waterloo.
- Martin, R., 2012, Syenite-hosted gold mineralization and hydrothermal alteration at the Young-Davidson deposit, Matachewan, Ontario. MSc, University of Waterloo, 172 pp.
- Smoke, R., 2012, A fluid inclusion investigation of the Marathon Cu/Pd deposit, Northwestern Ontario. BSc University of Western Ontario, 129 pp.
- Dugdale, D., 2012 (with D. Moser), Petrogenesis of Dalhousie Lake Area Pegmatites surrounding the Barbers Lake Granite Intrusion and Associated Uranium Mineralization, BSc University of Western Ontario, 69 p.