Associate Professor of Classics
BA (Calgary), MA (Victoria), PhD (Chicago)
Areas of Interest:
Roman society and culture (social attitudes, women and the family, sexuality, and slavery, clothing); Roman art and architecture; Latin historiography. Publications include articles on costume, women, Roman art, and ancient society.
Ancient history, more specifically Greek and Roman society and culture: social attitudes, social structure, women, the family, sexuality, and slavery, clothing and appearance; Greek and Roman art and architecture; Greek and Roman historiography; Sexuality and appearance in Western culture.
- CS2810A: The Ancient Greeks on Film
- CS3300F: Ancient Sexuality
- CS2902B: Cleopatra: Histories, Dreams, and Distortions
- CS3350G: Women in Ancient Rome
- CS9354B Women in Antiquity: Artefact, Text, Image
Distinctions and Awards (Selected):
- 2017 Western Strategic Success grant
- 2012-2014 Teaching Fellow, School of Advanced Study in the Arts and Humanities (UWO)
- 2011-2013 Faculty Scholar, Faculty of Arts & Humanities, Univ. of Western Ontario
- 2011 Academic Development Fund (for Greek Dress and Romanitas in Roman Antiquity)
- 2008-2011 SSHRC Standard Research Grant (for Men, Appearance, and Sexuality in Roman Antiquity)
Books Published (Selected):
- Dress and the Roman Woman: Self-Presentation and Society (Routledge, 2008). 171 + xv pp.
- Masculinity and Dress in Roman Antiquity (Routledge, 2017). 214 + xv pp.
- Masculinity, appearance, and sexuality: Roman dandies. Forthcoming 2014, Journal of the History of Sexuality.
- Cosmetics in Roman antiquity: substance, remedy, poison. Classical World 103.2: 2009: 291-310.
- Insignia lugentium: female mourning garments in Roman antiquity, in the American Journal of Ancient History 3-4 (2004-05). : 89-130.
- "Roman underwear revisited." Classical World 96.2 , 201-210.
- "Matrona and whore: the clothing of Roman women" in Fashion Theory 6.4 (2002), 387-420.
- Roman glass gaming pieces or jewel stones in Mouseion Series III vol. 1 (2001), 127-138.
Book Chapters (Selected):
- Status. In A Cultural History of Dress and Fashion. Vol. I: Antiquity, ed. M. Harlow (Bloomsbury 2016): 105-18.
- The Roman toga : status, sexuality, identity. In Sex in Antiquity: New Essays on Gender and Sexuality in the Ancient World, edd. M. Masterson and N. Rabinowitz (Routledge 2014): 422-48.
- Greek and Roman marriage” (with A. Glazebrook). In A Companion to Ancient Sexuality, ed. T. Hubbard (Wiley Blackwell, 2013): 69-82.
- Gender and sexuality. In Themes in Roman Society and Culture: An Introduction to Ancient Rome, edd. M. Gibbs, M. Nikolic, and P. Ripat (Oxford Univ. Press 2013): 164-88.
- The appearance of the young Roman girl. In Roman Dress and the Fabric of Roman Culture, edd. J. Edmondson and A. Keith (Univ. of Toronto Press, 2008): 139-57.
- Matrona and whore: clothing and definition. In Prostitutes and Courtesans in the Ancient World, edd. C. Faraone and L. McClure (University of Wisconsin Press 2006), 186-204.
Papers Read (Selected):
- “Noblewomen and leisure in Roman antiquity,” Classical Association of Canada annual meeting, St John’s, Canada, May 2017.
- “Nasica’s toga and the death of Tiberius Gracchus.” Classical Association of Canada annual meeting, Quebec City, Canada, May 2016.
- “Elegance and philosophies of fashion in Roman antiquity,” Dept. of Classics, Univ. of Manitoba, September 2015 (invited)
- “Pearls and patches: status and male footwear in Roman antiquity,” Shoes, Slippers, and Sandals: Feet and Footwear in Antiquity conference, Newcastle-on-Tyne, UK. June 2015.
- “Resurrection and rebirth: the Antonine toga,” Resurrection and Rebirth conference, Dept. of Religious Studies, McGill University, May 2014
- "Beware the Ill-Girt Boy: Tunics, Status, and Masculinity in Roman Antiquity," Dress and ID conference, Berlin, Germany, September 2012 (keynote address)
- “Luxury and Dress in Roman Male Clothing,” Dress and ID Conference Study Group C: Dress and Gender, Berlin, Germany, September 2012
- “Roman and pre-modern dandies: sexuality and affect,” The Reception of Rome and the Construction of Western Homosexual Identities conference, Durham UK, April 2012.
- “Greek dress in Roman antiquity,” Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference, Frankfurt am-Main, Germany, March 2012
- "Dandies, Effeminacy, and Masculinity in Roman Antiquity," Celtic Conference, panel on Addressing Dress, Edinburgh, Scotland, July 2010 (invited lecture).
- “The Color of Masculinity in Roman Antiquity,” Classical Association of Canada annual meeting, Quebec City Canada, May 2010.
Service to the Discipline (Selected):
- May 2016-17: Communications Officer, Women’s Network, Classical Assoc. of Canada
- May 2012: invited respondent, panels on Adornment in the Bible and Antiquity, Canadian Society for Biblical Studies, Congress (Kitchener-Waterloo)
- May 2012: Organizing chair of the Classical Association of Canada annual meeting (London, Ontario)
- March 2012: Organizing chair of Philhellenism and the Romans (panel at the Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference, Frankfurt am Main, Germany)
- May 2011: Organizing Chair of Justice on the Margins in the Ancient World workshop (UWO; SSHRC funded, May 2011)
- 2010-2013: Member, Classical Association of Canada Council
- March 2010: Organizing Chair of Justice in the Ancient World conference (UWO; awarded a SSHRC conference grant, 2010-11)
- March 2010: Organizing Chair of Clothing, Clothing, and Gender in Roman Art. Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference panel, Oxford UK