Ken K.-C. Yeung
Title: Associate Professor
Office: 0102 MSA
Lab: Rm 373 MSB
Phone (Office): ext 86346
Physical & Analytical Teaching Division
Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry; Separations and Mass Spectrometry
B.Sc., Ph.D., Calgary; NSERC PDF, Stanford and Alberta
Research in Prof. Yeung’s laboratory generally lies in the area of analytical characterization of molecules in biological systems. The recent interest of this group is the use of Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption/Ionization (MALDI) mass spectrometry for tissue imaging. This technique represents a labeled-free approach to visualize the spatial distribution of the molecules of interest on biological tissue sections.
Their current work focuses on tissue sample treatments that can improve sensitivity and selectivity of a variety molecules on mouse brain tissues, including proteins, peptides, lipids and metabolites. Prof. Yeung is currently collaborating with Prof. Shawn Whitehead, in the Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, to study how the brain chemical constituent changes under various types and levels of neuro-degenation.
A second focus of his work is applied analytical research in the area of agriculture. Through a collaboration with Adjunct Prof. Mark Sumarah, from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, a recent project is the analytical profiling of fungal secondary metabolites that are potential mycotoxins present in Canadian crops.
My Research Group Homepage
- 1302 - Discovering Chemical Energetics
- 2272 - Introductory Analytical Chemistry
- 3372 - Instrumental Analytical Chemistry
- 9465 - Bioanalytical Chemistry
- 9522 - Analytical Separations
- “Sublimation of DAN Matrix for the Detection and Visualization of Gangliosides in Rat Brain Tissue for MALDI Imaging Mass Spectrometry”, Sarah Caughlin, Jeff Hepburn, Dae Hee Park, Ken K.-C. Yeung, David F. Cechetto and Shawn N. Whitehead. Journal of Visualized Experiments, 2017. [link]
- “Diversity of Mycotoxin Producing Black Aspergilli in Canadian Vineyards”, Tianyu Qi, Justin B. Renaud, Tim W. McDowell, Keith A. Seifert, Ken K.-C. Yeung, Mark W. Sumarah. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2016, 64(7), pages 1583-1589. [link]
- “Increased expression of simple ganglioside species GM2 and GM3 detected by MALDI Mass Spectrometry Imaging in a combined rat model of Aβ toxicity and stroke”, Sarah Caughlin, Jeff Hepburn, Dae Hee Park, Kristina Jurcic, Ken K.-C. Yeung, David F. Cechetto and Shawn N. Whitehead. PLOS ONE, 2015. [link]
- “Differential Anatomical Expression of Ganglioside GM1 Species Containing d18:1 or d20:1 Sphingosine Detected by MALDI Imaging Mass Spectrometry in Mature Rat Brain”, Nina Weishaupt, Sarah Caughlin, Ken K.-C. Yeung and Shawn N. Whitehead. Frontier in Neuroanatonmy, 2015, 9(155), pages 1-11. [link]
- “Identification of six new Alternaria sulfoconjugated metabolites by high-resolution neutral loss filtering”, Megan J. Kelman, Justin B. Renaud, Keith A. Seifert, Jonathan Mack, Kumaran Sivagnanam, Ken K.-C. Yeung and Mark W. Sumarah. Rapid Communication of Mass Spectrometry, 2015, 29, pages 1805-1810. [link]