á Chemistry Chemistry Western University Science Logo

Information for New Students

Welcome to the Western Chemistry Graduate Program!  Here you will find some important information to help get you started. 

The Chemistry graduate programs consist of three terms with start dates:

Fall – September 1, Winter – January 1, and Summer – May 1

To determine the beginning of undergraduate classes (as it may pertain to your Teaching Assistantship duties), please refer to the Office of the Registrar’s Academic Calendar.

Tuition and fees are payable in the first week of each term. Pay your tuition-

Western Graduate Research Funds (WGRS) for international M.Sc. students, if applicable/eligible, are applied directly to your tuition account just before the beginning of the term. The WGRS funds offset your tuition balance to be paid. These funds will initially appear as anticipated aid. You need only pay the balance of the tuition and fees less the WGRS appearing as financial aid.

International students will need to present their study permit in person to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS) located in room 1N07 International and Graduate Affairs Building in order to be term-activated. Tuition owing will be processed after you are term-activated and you are required to arrange for payment of your tuition balance within five business days. Tuition fees not paid by the due date may incur late fees. After you report to SGPS, please provide the Chemistry Graduate Coordinator with a copy of your study permit. We will then be able to assign your WGRS (International Graduate Tuition Scholarship) funds to offset your tuition (M.Sc. international students).

In order to be employed in Canada, you MUST have and maintain an eligible Social Insurance Number (SIN).  For information on how to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) and the London Service Canada Centre, please view the following links:


If you have not already done so, you will be required to set up a local bank account.  The following link will provide you with the details to update the Human Resources system with your banking information for direct deposit information. Please remember to set up your direct deposit.


Photo ID - Obtain your Western ONECard (Photo ID) from the Office of the Registrar

Housing information can be found at http://www.uwo.ca/hfs/housing/

Bus Pass- All full-time SOGS members will be able to use their Western ONE student cards as a London Transit Commission bus pass. 

EMAIL -Please ensure that you activate and use your UWO grad student email account as it will be added to our departmental email lists and all future correspondence will be sent to you via that address. Please do not forward your UWO email to an outside service provider as this causes many problems with email and may violate confidentiality rules.  If you are having problems activating this account, please contact Information Technology Services Help Desk.

Mandatory Online Training - Required Training

TA Duties - Your name and official Western email will be provided to our Teaching Assistantship Coordinator, who will ensure that you are contacted for future Teaching Assistantship duties via email.

Graduate Courses -We offer graduate courses during the September and January terms. These courses are generally posted under our graduate course page several weeks before the beginning of the term. You will be notified when online registration is available. Please consult with your supervisor before registering for courses. Special permission forms are required for courses outside the department. Forms are available on the Graduate Chemistry website under "forms".

Please review important health and safety information on the Chemistry Health and Safety Webpage. Discuss necessary safety training with your supervisor and then sign up for the appropriate training as soon as possible. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the Chemistry Handbook.

Health and Wellness

Students seeking help regarding mental health concerns are advised to speak to someone they feel comfortable confiding in, such as their faculty supervisor, their program director (graduate chair), or other relevant administrators in their unit.  Campus mental health resources may be found at http://www.health.uwo.ca/mental_health/resources.html. Departmental health and safety resources can be found here.

Additional links: