Biology rounds up an array of honors at the CSZ/SCZ 2016 Conference
In addition to hosting the 2016 Canadian Society of Zoologists (CSZ)
national conference, Western had a big presence at CSZ in terms of honored roles and awards.
- Chris Guglielmo spoke at the Plenary LOC symposium.
- Brock Fenton received the Fry medal – the society’s lifetime achievement award.
- Kurtis Turnbull (supervised by Brent Sinclair and Jeremy McNeil) won the Holeton prize for the best student presentation in Comparative Physiology and Biochemistry
- Joel Slade (supervised by Beth MacDougall-Shackleton) won the Cass Lindsay prize for the best student presentation in Ecology and Evolution
- 3/8 finalists in the society-wide Battle prize for best poster presentation were from Western: Kurtis Turnbull, Jantina Toxopeus (both supervised by Brent Sinclair) and Sarah McFarlane (supervised by Jim Staples). Sarah was the eventual winner, with Jantina an honorable mention
- Half of the six finalists for the Hoar award for best student presentation were from Biology: Lauren Des Marteaux , Laura Ferguson (both supervised by Brent Sinclair), Kristin Jonasson (supevised by Chris Guglielmo) represented the department exceptionally in this high-pressure plenary session. Lauren was an *extremely* close second.